Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I finally picked up a FSB! It's a 1995 XLT with a 5.8. I bought it cheap, and will be using it as a daily driver while I work on it. I will be using this mostly for my grueling 4 mi daily commute. Likely, the most rugged conditions the truck will face will be a few yearly camping trips that require some moderate two tracking, and driving on some dirt roads in Northern Michigan that don't get plowed often in the winter.

The Issue: The front passenger shock mount is badly broken, and I will be replacing it this weekend. The vehicle is set up to run quad shocks. The passenger side has both shocks, and the driver side has a newer mount and coil spring, but one old shock mounted to the front side of the axle.

The Plan: To replace the broken mount (passenger side) with a standard single shock/spring mount, and a new shock and new coil spring. Also putting a new shock on the driver side (behind the axle), and removing the existing shock that is mounted in front of the axle.

I plan to leave the existing dual shock mount/and coil spring on the driver side since it was replaced last year (I don't know why the PO changed the mount and the spring, but not the shock, and you'd think he'd just do both sides...but that would have left no fun for me...). If the single shock on each side proves to work out, then I will buy a matching driver side mount in the near future, and swap out the mounts so both sides match. If not, I will go back to the original quad shock set up.

I have a friend who has much more automotive repair experience than I who will be helping me, but I was looking for advice here before I actually do any of this work. I assume the steps are:1. Jack up Truck; 2. Remove wheel, 3. Compress and remove coil spring 4. Remove shock(s) 5. Remove shock mount 6. Attach new mount 7. Attach new shock 8. Attach new spring/reattach old spring 9. put wheel back on 10. Don't die in a fiery crash. Update: I see I'll need to disconnect and reconnect a brake line in this process as well, and bleed the brakes.

I have read that there is no real advantage to running with both shocks on each side for the type of conditions I will encounter. Has anyone here converted from the quad shock set up to the standard setup? If so, have you noticed any issues?

Sorry...I'm wordy...Thanks for reading, and I look forward to the advice! I will show before and after pictures once I get the front wheels off. It's a doozie!

·
Man of endless projects
9,284 Posts
the reason he didnt replace both side mounts are the rivets holding them in are a real PITA. it will be by far the hardest part and probablly using a torch to get them out. grinding the heads off and drilling through them doesnt even fully get them out it seems. ive had luck grinding the heads off and then using a strong wedge and a big hammer to force them off

what actually caused it to break? rust? or other damage? im assumming rust since you said it sees snow

you dont need to compress the springs. the axle will droop enough to get them out assuming you jack the vehicle high enough, and the shocks and swaybar are disconnected which is another step you will want to add to your list. also you dont need to disconnect the brake lines unless, you can jsut take the calipers off and hold them up somehow so they dont hang by the brakeline.

i honestly see no need to have quadshock. its expensive and can make the ride really rough is the shocks are stiffer than normal. both my 88 and old 96 were quad and my new 96 is dual and im perfectly happy with the dual.

the only difference between the quad and dual shock trucks is the coil bucket that has an extra spot for the shock to mount on and the additional shock themselfs. so if you want, you can install the quadshock mount and just leave the front shock off. that way you can alwasy add the aditional shocks in the future if you wanted it go back to quad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what actually caused it to break? rust? or other damage? im assumming rust since you said it sees snow
I think just rust/age. It is a pretty rusty vehicle...hence I didn't pay a lot for it. I plan to spray the new parts with POR to help. And just replace things 1 by 1.

I'll see what type of equipment I can line up for the bolt removal. I may have a neighbor that can cut them off. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discretion being the better part of valor, I drove by the shop of a family friend, and asked him to look at it. He's replacing it tomorrow. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not doing it myself, but I could tell this was going to turn into a $#!* show, and I have to drive it this weekend.

Thanks for the input, you probably saved me a weekend of frustration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts