Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall a discussion on the quality of body replacement panels
We all know nothing beats an OEM fender, hood, etc
A guy who owns a body shop told me to always get a CAPA Certified body panel if possible
"Instead of $100 they cost $500, but they are worth it" He said
And this pricing was true a year or two ago
I am now looking for another fender and I am seeing a CAPA cert panel cheap as dirt!....what happened?

Can any run of the mill Chinese hack shop say their panels are CAPA cert?

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
533 Posts
I ordered a fender from Carparts. It was super cheap, on sale, like $33 + Shipping. I got it in about a week delivered by Fedex ground.
Needless to say when I opened it up the fender was crushed on one corner and creased in the middle. So I ordered another one from Parts Geek for about $100 plus shipping.
It was packaged and delivered much better with no damage. However both fender panels were made of cheaper gauge metal and weighed about half what my OEM fender weighed. I ended up creasing the fender from applying pressure to align the holes. Now I have body work to do.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I want something good. I was told CAPA certified was the way to go.
Seems like there are 2 issues: 1) Shipping & packaging and 2) The actual quality of the part (how it fits, gage thickness, etc)

No dice on tabco parts, I am looking for a pas side front fender to a '96

·
Registered
I build beautiful things. And they pay me for it
191 Posts
Lmc is about the only choice I found. Did tail gate and both besides and outer wheel houses. They were taiwan parts. Not perfect, but I made them fit. And looks good.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,667 Posts
Yeah, I want something good. I was told CAPA certified was the way to go.
Seems like there are 2 issues: 1) Shipping & packaging and 2) The actual quality of the part (how it fits, gage thickness, etc)

No dice on tabco parts, I am looking for a pas side front fender to a '96
No dice, like they don't have what you need?

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
capa certified is about the best you can find new. That or a good condition used unit. I have an entire rust free passenger rear quarter of a bronco for sale. I need to post it on here. Located in TX.

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
Yo Para,
Insist on seeing "Each two-part CAPA seal carries a unique number and bar code on each part. It comes with a tear-off tab to be used by the collision repairer to verify the use of a CAPA Certified part to the customer and insurance company.

Once a seal is affixed to the inside surface of a part by the manufacturer, it will self-destruct should any attempt be made to remove it. This ensures that a seal cannot be transferred from a CAPA Certified part to a non-CAPA Certified part and used to commit fraud or other deceptive practices."

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dennis Carpenter purchased the old Ford OEM dies! Thats awesome. Better than CAPA, and probably real close to an OEM fit....gotta love it!
Anyone have experience in actually fitting one of their pieces.....is it that good?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miesK5: I suspect there are alot of Gibronis out their claiming to be CAPA but when you get a dented broken up box with a scratched fender, there is probably no CAPA cert sticker to be found.
China probably has some way of skirting the law

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,858 Posts
Dennis Carpenter purchased the old Ford OEM dies! Thats awesome. Better than CAPA, and probably real close to an OEM fit....gotta love it!
Anyone have experience in actually fitting one of their pieces.....is it that good?
They only did that for some of their parts. If you read the part descriptions on their site it will tell you if it was made with the original tooling or if it's an imported part.

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
miesK5: I suspect there are alot of Gibronis out their claiming to be CAPA but when you get a dented broken up box with a scratched fender, there is probably no CAPA cert sticker to be found.
China probably has some way of skirting the law
Yo Para,
Right on about the Communist Chinese Govt!
Only thing I can suggest, other than going by the seller's CAPA claim is to ask about quality body parts at a respected body shop.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Meiask5: Funny you should mention that, after I put these panels on, my fav local body shop does the paint work
He was the guy that put me on to CAPA cert panels

Sad how a guy like Dennis Carpenter could water down his brand with cheap Chinese made barf

We have been getting a reaming form those short-dicked people for a long time, time for that to change
Hopefully 51% of us or more feel that way

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recall a discussion on the quality of body replacement panels
We all know nothing beats an OEM fender, hood, etc
A guy who owns a body shop told me to always get a CAPA Certified body panel if possible
"Instead of $100 they cost $500, but they are worth it" He said
And this pricing was true a year or two ago
I am now looking for another fender and I am seeing a CAPA cert panel cheap as dirt!....what happened?

Can any run of the mill Chinese hack shop say their panels are CAPA cert?
Typically CAPA certified are not a problem. However, you need to make sure they are actually CAPA parts. They have a two part sticker on them. One stays on the backside of the part and not removed. The second is attached to your receipt or shop work order. In the event there is an issue with the part being fit or corrosion you can go back to the shop or part supplier. I have worked for insurance companies and for a body shop, with little trouble with CAPA parts.

Another source for CAPA parts is LKQ Corporation. Working at a shop we bought lots of CAPA parts from them with no issue. When we did they took care of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts