Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high do you have to lift the motor or do you actually have to pull the trans off and remove it?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You need to lift it high enough to get to the bolts that are under your y pipe and also be able to remove to pan completely. This is a project I am not looking forward to but it needs to be done to hopefully stop my leak.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
With a 2" body lift I lifted my engine untill the plenium hit the firewall and it was just bearly enoufgh room.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
It's much easier to remove the engine; faster, less stress, no guessing whether everything's in place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just pull the intake plenum off. Once that's off then there will be enough room to jack the motor up higher which will give you plenty of room to drop the pan.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
It's a pain in the a$$ with the engine in the truck, trust me. But if you take Sig's advice and just pull the engine out you will not only experience much less frustration but it'll give you a golden opportunity to look at and repair and clean and adjust and blahblahblah a bunch of other stuff at the same time......

·
Registered
317 Posts
Drain oil pan. Loosen the four screws that hold the fan shroud in place, remove motor mount bolts, and remove the y-pipe. Jack the engine up high enough to insert a small piece of 2x4 under each motor mount and lower it down to it rests on the 2x4. Drop the oil pan, remove the oil pump while being sure to secure the oil pump drive shaft to the closest main bearing with a strong rubber band, then pull the pan out. Easy to re-install if you buy the Felpro blue one-piece gasket that comes with the alignment plastic pieces.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. No body lift so that doesnt give me more room. Thank you banzai but your 84 is carbed Im guessing. Looks like pull the upper then wedging the mounts should do it. Not looking forward to it either way it goes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, my 84 is carbed. I did not remove anything except all the fan shroud screws, motor mount nuts, and y-pipe.

Worst part was trying to get the new oil pump bolted on to the block. I did it by very loosely attaching the pick-up end to establish a reference and pivot point, then making multiple attempts at getting the pump to slide onto the pump drive shaft. If you have a friend that will jiggle the distributor from the top of the engine it should be easy. My friends are allergic to work of any kind.

Be smart and buy the blue Felpro one-piece gasket with aligment/holding pins or else you are the stupidest person in the world and you deserve to suffer. I changed the oil pan on my 96 BMW 328i a week before I did the Bronco and it was 10x more of a PIA. Bronco oil pan is not so bad. I'd do another one for $200 cash.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
just be sure the engine is securley in place with no danger of falling when you have your hands stuck between the block and pan to get the oil pump off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts