Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this 1988 bronco XLT with 120,000 mi with a 4" body lift, some suspension upgrades (which has been on the truck for a while) and 33" MT tires. The truck is in good condition with some rust forming at the fenders and a little the door panel. THe interior is decent as well. The owner is asking $3,500 for the bronco. What do you guys think? Im sorry i dont have pictures, but with that info i gave, is that a fair price? I am willing to pay $3K for the truck.

My other concern was the typical problems of that model/year of bronco. what do i need to look when purchasing the vehicle? It seems the truck has not been driven in a while due to the lack of co. sticker and plates. If i purchase it...what would be your suggestion with changing/replacing parts on the truck? The purpose of the truck is for winter driving and some daily driving/mild off roading. I would expect to not have any major issues with the truck for a while. i already have two cars and im single...so...no more hassles! Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check the transfer case and make sure that someone did not fill it with 80w90 gear lube (mine is apart on the floor because of that). Other than that, just the usual inspection, u-joints, wheel bearings, brakes, front and rear axle yokes, proper operation of everything, etc.

·
OUCH!!
790 Posts
ok the first problem there is the 4 inchbody lift, totally unsafe if you ask me. 3 inches is the limit.

also is it a 351(5.8) or a 302(5.0) on the inline 6 (289?)
other than that just check for your normal wear and tear. you know does it leak oil/transmission fluid. does the a/c heater work. well u get the picture.

Also I would start at about 2000 and don't go over the 3000 limit

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,804 Posts
Besides which engine, what trans does it have? I don't know what year the E4od trans came out but in the early years they were notorious for the torque converters going bad requiring a whole trans rebuild mine was $1600. If it has a push button "overdrive off" on the dash then it's an E4od and you need to ask a lot of qeustions. Once rebuilt it's an excellent trans. But again I'm not positive that it was even used in 88. If it was I'm sure someone alse will chime in.

·
Big feet, big hands & a
832 Posts
When you say "It seems the truck has not been driven in a while ", how long? A month, a year? My Broncos previous owner said it haad been sitting two years. After looking in the glove box I found out it had been sitting about four years. I had to replace just about every sensor(egr valve/pos sensor, tps, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sen, MAP sensor, etc...). If poss. have someone run the trouble codes. That will give you an idea of what you are getting into. Good Luck. :thumbup

·
nolongeraregistereduser
651 Posts
Honestly, I paid $2900 for my 89, with 120k on it, in great shape. No rust, runs pretty good etc. No mods done. Interior perfect other than drivers seat. I think you have room to negotiate that price down.

·
Registered
870 Posts
well mine's a 90 xlt (98K origional miles when i bought it) the interior and exterior is absolutely perfect and i mean perfect. and i bought it for $4000. so i would go with what broncomx said and start at $2000. just talk the car down in front of the guy. point out all the things wrong with it and sound like your're dissatisfied with the car. the owner knows it's not worth 3500, so he'll go for at least 3000.

with 120K, the trans might b ready to go out if it hasn't been rebuilt for a while.

don't settle with the first "good deal" u get. i searched for at least 5 months for my bronco and i let a couple "good deals" go by. i'm very happy with the one i picked and i got a pretty good deal cuz i waited and didn't buy the first one that seemed good. if you are having doubts about the truck than sit on it for a while.

some good talk down points: over 100K, older than 92, rust and blemishes, not been driven for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

To be honest, the 4 inch lift, it's just a guess, I am not totally sure. Probably it's a 3" body lift. I haven't talked with the guy that much, just for a few minutes over the phone.

It's a 302, and it's an automatic, i think is an E4od. I will talk to the guy tomorrow, so, we will see.

Thanks again, i might post again tomorrow after having more info.

Edit: About how long the truck has been parked, i think, is at the most 6 months. It has the inspection sticker that expires in June '04, but the county sticker and plates are not on it currently.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,893 Posts
Ya, that would be an AOD.

·
Gamble Til We Die
504 Posts
AOD means Automatic Over Drive. Over Drive is 4th gear. If it is a 3 speed (no overdrive) automatic it is a C6 tranny which is very strong.

·
Something Spiffy
943 Posts
the AOD is a decent tranny. it will last you along time if you take care of it (wheather its weaker or not, my AOD lived for 180K of hard life) oh yeah the only reason that i did need to rebuild was that i used a C6 flexplate by mistake when i swapped engines, that trans made it about 1 block with that combo!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, we saw the truck, it runs and rides REALLY well. I am surprise that it hasn't been started in 2 or 3 weeks yet started right away despite how cold it was(and it is 18 F outside here). There was no smoke, knocking, or anything.

It has a C6 tranny. It seems that the whole drivetrain is inmaculate. The truck has been parked for just 2 or 3 weeks.

We tried the 4WD and no major clunks or anything wrong. The damn thing went up a little (60 degrees and 8 feet) hill like nothing.

And my girlfriend really likes it... hmmm.. i think, i will offer $2800 max $3K since it really needs to get body work done (rust).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stomper4x4 said:
Honestly, I paid $2900 for my 89, with 120k on it, in great shape. No rust, runs pretty good etc. No mods done. Interior perfect other than drivers seat. I think you have room to negotiate that price down.

I just bought mine off e-bay (was in the local area so I went and saw it first). 1988 Eddie Bauer with the 302. Inside is immaculate. Some peeling paint with surface rust (no deep rust spots I could find) and one slightly manged fender. Ran great, shifted smooth, and no problem shifting into 4h on the fly. $1800. Only down side is 190k mileage. You can't tell by the way it runs though. Can't wait to pick it up (just hit buy-it-now it an hour ago).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.