Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 93 Bronco with a 351w, and im trying to fix all the problems i can with it. I know for a fact it has a p/s leak because there is fluid everywhere under it, and the previous owner told me its leaking,my question is were exactly can it leak on the pump other than the lines? I noticed that the pressure line is loose in the pump but the nut is tight, almost like the o-ring is bad, I bought a line and am gonna replace it regardless along with the return line just because of the age of it. If it is the pump, who makes a good replacement that wont whine even when all the air is out of it?This pump is quiet and I want to keep it that way. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,398 Posts
Several of us have done the sag pump swap. It's much quieter & more powerful than stock. It requires different hoses, so it might pay to decide on the pump before buying hoses. Details in the links below:
Steering -Saginaw Swap & Pumps
1-saginaw swap. plug ugly
2-Install Completed!! Saginaw Powersteering Pump Rebuild Not 56K!! jermil01
3-saginaw pumps bossind -With pics of pumps & brackets.
4-Saginaw Pump II by Boss. bossind
5-All info i know about the saginaw swap and the pumps. BadassBronco
6-100% bolt-up saginaw pump Ditch Baby (nascarfreak88) -More part numbers in posts 223 & 226 (Page 12), & step by step info by foxbravo in post 235.
7-Saginaw P/S Reservoir -Remote reservoir source.
8-Saginaw Pump - With OBA... Question? Dave's Bronc 90 gives the part number for a GM remote resevoir sag pump that fits the Ford van bracket in post 11.

·
Man of endless projects
9,483 Posts
if it leaks at the pump, it might need jsut new O-rings. if i remeber theres 3 O-rings. a small one on the pressure hose, abit bigger one for the nut that holds the resivore and the pressure line goes into, and then theres a big o ring that goes all the way around the pump to seal the resivore. that big O-ring was worn out on my 88 and i moved the resivore a tiny bit but it was enough for it to start leaking from it. haooened again when i was doing my motor swap and i had to replace them again. all that NAPA had for me was a resivore kit that inclueded a new resivor and those O rings and it was easy to do. my pump only whines if its low on fluid which only gets low if i have the engine revved too long and it blows out the cap

·
Registered
616 Posts
I didnt think sag swaps worked on the 92-up bco's?

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is also a seal on the input shaft. usually when it leaks it will paint the hood and everything around it. It does this b/c the oil gets on the pully and belt which causes it to sling it off 360°. If it isnt doing this then it probably isnt the input shaft seal.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Did you clean all the leaking fluid off the pump/lines and steering box to see actually where the leak is?? I dont see to many of these pumps leaking from the shaft seal but I'm not saying it wont. But more then likely its a hose. But the other most common spot is the steering box out put shaft for the pitman arm.

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
yo
from 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual
Power Steering Pump Leaks
Leaking cap and dipstick or overfilled power steering oil reservoir.
CHECK for indications of false leakage � overfilled power steering oil reservoir, improperly installed, damaged or lost cap or dipstick.

Loose or damaged power steering pressure hose connections.
GO to Pinpoint Test B.

Leakage between power steering oil reservoir and power steering pump housing.
REPLACE pump as required.

Leakage at pump shaft seal area.
REPLACE shaft seal or power steering pump. REPLACE C-II pump as required

PINPOINT TEST B: PRELIMINARY INSPECTION AND LEAK TESTING
B1 PRELIMINARY CHECK
Check the power steering pump belt tension.
Check the tire air pressure.
Check power steering pump for correct model and vehicle application.
Do components check OK?
Yes Ford C-II pumps: GO to B2.

ZF pumps: GO to B3.

No ADJUST or REPLACE as required. REFER to Section 03-05.

B2 FLUID LEVEL CHECK, FORD C-II PUMP
NOTE: After any major power steering system component replacement, the system should be purged of all old fluid and replaced with new fluid.
NOTE: Fluid level may be checked when fluid is either hot or cold.
If fluid is cold (approximately 24°C [75°F]), use cold full mark on dipstick.
If fluid is hot (approximately 77°C [177°F]), use hot full mark on dipstick.
Is fluid level correct without any signs of air bubbles in fluid?
Yes GO to B5.
No ADD Premium Power Steering Fluid E6AZ-19582-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F. Do not overfill the reservoir. GO to B4 for bleed procedure if bubbles are still present.

B3 FLUID LEVEL CHECK, ZF PUMP
NOTE: After any major power steering system component replacement, the old fluid should be purged and replaced with new fluid.

Key off.
Remove the power steering pump oil reservoir filler cap and check the level on the dipstick. Use the cold mark if fluid is at room temperature (20°C [70°F]). Use the hot marking if the fluid is at normal operating temperature (80°C [175°F]).
Is the fluid level correct without any signs of air bubbles in fluid?
Yes GO to B6.
No ADD MERCON-II® or equivalent. DO NOT OVERFILL the reservoir. GO to B4 for bleed procedure if bubbles are present.

B4 BLEED AIR FROM SYSTEM
Fill power steering oil reservoir.
Operate engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
Turn steering wheel to the left and right several times without hitting stops.
Recheck fluid level inpower steering oil reservoir and fill if required.
Are air bubbles still present in fluid?
Yes PURGE air from system. REFER to Purging Power Steering System of Air in the Service Procedures portion of this section.
No ZF pumps: GO to B6. Ford C-II pumps: GO to B5.

B5 EXTERNAL LEAK CHECK
Key off.
Wipe off power steering pump, power steering pressure hose, power steering return hose andsteering gear.
Key on, engine running.
CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel in the far left or right position, or damage to the power steering pump may result.

Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop several times.
Can leak location be detected?
Yes REPLACE pump.
No REFER to External Leakage in the Service Procedures portion of this section. SEE Fluid Leak below

B6 EXTERNAL LEAK CHECK, ROSS STEERING GEAR AND ZF PUMP
Key off.
Wipe off power steering pressure hoses, power steering return hose, steering gear and power steering oil reservoir.
Mix one teaspoon of oil-soluble aniline dye intopower steering oil reservoir and fillpower steering oil reservoir to specifications as required.
Key on, engine running at 1000-1500 rpm.
Turn steering wheel all the way to the left and right several times.
CAUTION: Do not hold steering wheel in the far left or right position, or damage to power steering pump may result.

Key off.
Do reservoir or outlets leak?
Yes CHECK power steering return line clamp for proper installation and reservoir ports for cracks. SERVICE or REPLACE as required. GO to B7.
No If power steering pump oil reservoir filler cap or dipstick leaks, CHECK power steering pump oil reservoir filler cap for good seal and tight fit. REPLACE if damaged or broken. GO to B7.

B7 FITTINGS AND O-RING LEAK INSPECTION
Clean the outside of the steering gear, the bottom surface of the power steering pump, and all lines and fittings.
CAUTION: Do not tighten the fittings with a standard open-end wrench.

Tighten all fittings using a flare-nut wrench.
Do tube seats leak?
Yes REPLACE tube seat.
No System OK.

Fluid Leak CAUTION: Do not hold steering wheel (3600) in the far left or right position, or damage to power steering pump (3A674) may result.
With engine idling, turn steering wheel left to right several times from stop to stop. Check all possible leakage points.
Tighten all loose fittings. Replace damaged lines and seals.
NOTE: For repair and replacement procedures in the following chart, refer to Section 11-02B.

Leakage Areas, Power Steering Pump Oil Reservoir Filler Cap and Connection, Ford C-II Pump; see diagram below
Note: Use of a tapered shaft may be required to stretch Teflon® washer to allow for installation onto tube nut.
Leak Category Required Service
1. Rotor shaft sea;l Replace pump.
2. Reservoir O-ring seal; Replace pump.
3. Power steering return hose; Reposition or replace power steering return line clamp.
4. Power steering pump valve outlet fitting; Tighten power steering pump valve outlet fitting 35-54 Nm (26-40 lb-ft). If leak continues, replace pump.
5. Hose tube nut; Tighten pressure hose tube nut to 41-54 Nm (30-40 lb-ft).
If leak continues, remove tube nut and inspect Teflon® washer. Replace if required.
If leak is due to pressure hose assembly O-ring, replace hose assembly.
6. Power steering pump oil reservoir filler cap; Check for damaged or missingpower steering pump oil reservoir filler cap or dipstick. Check oil level, and correct as required. If leak continues, replace pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you clean all the leaking fluid off the pump/lines and steering box to see actually where the leak is?? I dont see to many of these pumps leaking from the shaft seal but I'm not saying it wont. But more then likely its a hose. But the other most common spot is the steering box out put shaft for the pitman arm.
That was my next step, man there is fluid everywhere, its gonna take alot of cleaning. I think what im proly gona do is try to find a seal kit for it because the pump is quiet and works great. It just leaks. Thanks for the help fellas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow. I am having the same issue with my 93. I have already decided to take to shop to have done. Out of my capabilty. I thank you all for the responses at least now I know what the possibilties are and the possible fix(s).

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
Wow. I am having the same issue with my 93. I have already decided to take to shop to have done. Out of my capabilty. I thank you all for the responses at least now I know what the possibilties are and the possible fix(s).
yo Mr Gee,
YW,
btw, that Ford Pump is std in many model years and the WS Manual info is applicable to your 93

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Teflon washer/seal PS pump hose fitting. Needed or not?

Use of a tapered shaft may be required to stretch the Teflon®
washer to allow for installation onto tube nut.

If leak continues, remove tube nut and inspect Teflon® washer.
Replace if required.
Read lots of stuff about those Teflon washers.

A couple guys said they don't seal the oil-in but instead only seal
the dirt-out and one mechanic said he'd left those things off of
1000 vehicles and he'd never had a leak.

So what gives? :)

I need those dangged things or not? LOL :)

A thin rubber O-ring would work to keep the dirt out. Or Teflon
tape wrapped in a wad up high. LOL :)

You know, the two I just took apart didn't look like they were
in any shape to seal anything and those fittings weren't leaking.
('95 Mercury Tracer rack and pinion) Last guy to work on it was
a true old time "shade tree mechanic" and he didn't replace the
hoses. Autozone only supplies them with a new hose.

Anyway, my Bronco's power steering pump hose's got one of
those Teflon washers on it and want to know if they really are
needed or not. :)

What do you say? :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Pep Boys sells 'em separate...
Omega Power Steering Teflon Washer Kit
Part # 2932 SKU: 9904846 ...~$8

1 - 12 of 12 Posts