Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on swapping the Bronco body out for a pickup cab and I was wondering about the VIN number and title/registration.

When I install the pickup cab will I need to title it as a F150 or whatever body I install?
Will I need to try and get a title with the cab....what should I do with the Bronco title?

Could I cut the VIN plate out of the Bronco and install in in the pickup cab?

Do I look fat in this dress?

Sorry about all the questions....but I'm not sure what to do.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I not sure about switching VIN's, I am almost sure it's a federal offense. I know it's illegal in Mi. But yeah I would definatly check with your local DMV. I would just title the pickup. Not to say I haven't Hmmmmmmmmmmm before but what they don't know won't hurt them.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Title/registration stays with the frame, not the body.

...and yes, in that dress, you look like a battleship.:goodfinge

·
Banned
19,707 Posts
He's only changing a PART (the body) - which part should the VIN stay with? I say chassis. :shrug The old body won't be driving around anywhere, and neither will the pickup chassis, so it's only logical for the Bronco VIN to stay on it, despite being removed from one firewall & attached to another.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thats the way I was looking at it....just changing a "part"...I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with the DMV.

I'm hoping that I can still title it as a Bronco.
I'll have to double check my NC title, but I remember when it was licensed in WV it was considered a Station Wagon and insurance was cheaper than on a truck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The VIN should stay with the chassis according to the NC DMV. When we build a street rod or resto we can either use the body or chassis VIN but which ever one you use needs to be stamped on the chassis for titiling purposes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Franklin said:
The VIN should stay with the chassis according to the NC DMV. When we build a street rod or resto we can either use the body or chassis VIN but which ever one you use needs to be stamped on the chassis for titiling purposes.

Thanks Franklin....thats good news, I didn't realize the chassis had the VIN #, or does it (you mentioned "stamping").

·
Registered
231 Posts
In MI it stays w/ the body.....a bud found out the hard way when he put a rustfree 150 2wd body on his 250 4x4.....got impounded and fined, now has to get a rebuilt title for it and a vin sayin its a 2005. never had any probs for 3 yrs until that day.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
countryboy79mi said:
In MI it stays w/ the body.
Yup, I checked with MI also and it stays with the body. Everyone has seen a car that has been put on a 4x4 frame, would it make sense to call a 66 impala on a truck frame a truck? No, it's still an Impala.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Leget said:
I'm planning on swapping the Bronco body out for a pickup cab and I was wondering about the VIN number and title/registration.

When I install the pickup cab will I need to title it as a F150 or whatever body I install?
Will I need to try and get a title with the cab....what should I do with the Bronco title?

Could I cut the VIN plate out of the Bronco and install in in the pickup cab?

Do I look fat in this dress?

Sorry about all the questions....but I'm not sure what to do.
In VA the DMV has told me the VIN and title stick with the cab. You either need to buy a complete donor truck, or get a salvage cab with a bill of sale or receit to prove you purchased it. As long as there's a clear bill of sale, they'll issue you a new title on your cab's VIN. No bill of sale, and they have no way to know it's not stolen and you're screwed.

Steve83 said:
I'd put the Bronco VIN on the donor cab, but check with your local OMV.
I wouldn't. I don't know about TN, but that's actually a felony in the state of VA, and that I'm absolutely certain of. Doesn't mean people don't commonly do it, just saying it's pretty chancy.

Project Lazarus said:
Title/registration stays with the frame, not the body.

...and yes, in that dress, you look like a battleship.:goodfinge
Yeah, I've heard that's the way NC does things, makes a heck of a lot more sense to me. It varies state to state, so it's always best to just call the DMV, since this isn't that uncommon a thing to do and they should be able to tell you how to handle it better than anyone from outside your state (like me). :thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts