Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else gotten email communication from ebay about updating their account information, with their credit card, bank account number and so forth? I received an email to my hotmail account and it looks legit enough, but I am always suspicious of things like this. If somebody who wanted to f**k you up got a hold of the information you're giving them you could wind up screwed big time. Supposedly they are doing all this to cut down on fraud, any ideas??

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
jermil01 said:
Has anyone else gotten email communication from ebay about updating their account information, with their credit card, bank account number and so forth? I received an email to my hotmail account and it looks legit enough, but I am always suspicious of things like this. If somebody who wanted to f**k you up got a hold of the information you're giving them you could wind up screwed big time. Supposedly they are doing all this to cut down on fraud, any ideas??
You should only get a mail like that if your credit cards you use are expiring, etc. If they are just asking you to check the info thats ok, not change anything.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I wouldn't update anything via e-mail. If they need an update, they should direct you to their website (which is secure) and have you do it there. If there is a link, check the address before giving info, make sure it is the actuall E-bay site, not something looking and named similar.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
SMOOTH said:
I wouldn't update anything via e-mail. If they need an update, they should direct you to their website (which is secure) and have you do it there. If there is a link, check the address before giving info, make sure it is the actuall E-bay site, not something looking and named similar.
Better said......what I was trying to say. :thumbup

·
Registered
529 Posts
I do alot of Ebay...and haven't received anything from them.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, that makes me supsicious now..Let me pull it up and I'll post it for you all to take a look.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I get those from time to time, and I just forward them to [email protected] and let them determine if they are legit. Most of those are people trying to get your info to rip ya off.... BIG TIME... do what I do and let Ebay handle it...

:thumbup

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Jerm, do not do it, a coworker got f-ed with something like that. It's a scam. They are never suppposed to ask you. Do a search I think it was David78 that posted something like this a while back.

·
Prettier Than You
862 Posts
I saw an article about this on MSNBC or MSN or something, can't remember which one. But basically some young kids sit behind a computer and make up these fake Ebay notices asking you to update your credit card and account information then they f*uck over those people who respond back and just go crazy with the information.

I've had two ebay accounts for about four or five years and they've never sent me an email asking me to update my account information. The only time I've had requests like this is when I was in the process of a transaction or updating my information myself in the account area - i.e. I've initiated the updates, not ebay.

Do as TomH says and forward it to [email protected] and for safety precautions, log into your account yourself and check and update any outdated information, that way you know all your info is legit and there's no reason for those emails to be coming.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the email..

Last time I logged in and tried to access the page, it said 403 Forbidden, so I don't think that was a good sign..Thanks for the heads up Tom, I'll forward it to them.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Never respond to any eBay email, just easier that way. If you need to do something with your account, open a NEW BROWSER WINDOW and then go directly to the eBay website and enter your account there. This goes for Paypal as well.

They can make it look VERY real, even when you click on the links they send you, it will send you to a fake eBay site that looks exactly the same, and even says eBay in the address field.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
the first sign to me was when it was an unsecured site it takes you too... things that make ya go HMMMMMmmmmmmm....

Anyway... I'm fairly active on ebay, and have seen a good number of that exact email. The first time, I went to the ebay site and found the "Contact us" link, and fired off an email. They replied and said "anytime you, or anyone you get this sort of email, forward it in it's entirety, to spoof-at-ebay.com and they're security department will investigate it. So I did... they returned within a day and said my account was fine and in good standing... etc.. etc... that this email did NOT originate from ebay or any of it's affiliates...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Tomh971 said:
I get those from time to time, and I just forward them to [email protected] and let them determine if they are legit. Most of those are people trying to get your info to rip ya off.... BIG TIME... do what I do and let Ebay handle it...

:thumbup
THAT is the ticket Bro .. I sent one in last week actually...if you look closely they openly state tat they will never send you these types of emails

don't do anything with that email except send it to the spoof address and they will look into it and get you a response within 48hrs usually

1 - 17 of 17 Posts