Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the "sixlitre" tune up, I set my timing which was bouncing all over the place. Which was problem one.

I didn't disconnect my spout, is that the reason for the jumping timing?? Whats the purpose in disconnecting your spout?

So far its running ALOT smoother but I don't want to drive it until I figure out if the timing is good or not??

13* but bounced from 10-14...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Uh...you CAN'T set your baseline ignition timing without pulling the SPOUT connector. So anything you've set is fairly ambiguous.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uh...sorry... what??

I was turning my distributor, timing mark was moving, and the engine was obviously changing rpm's. What am I missing here? (don't really understand what your saying) What should be my next step?

(Thanks for the quick response!)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
You'll never have an accurate reading of baseline ignition timing with your SPOUT connector installed. With the method you've described you're seeing the ignition timing with baseline PLUS whatever advance the PCM is telling the ignition module to do. There's no way to know (implicitly) how much ignition timing is being added to the baseline at idle, as there are MANY aspects to its calculation.

Go pull your SPOUT connector, and re-do it. That's the only way you'll be sure it's set properly. This is assuming your harmonic damper's markings are accurate and the outer ring hasn't slipped (actually, don't worry about this for now, just go pull the connector and re-do it).

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So plan of attack is:

1.Disconnect the spout
2. set engine timing to 13 degrees
3. reconnect spout
4. drive

??

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
By pulling the SPOUT it disables the computer that adjusts the timing whil its running. Once you set the timing to 13degrees you reinstall the SPOUT and it reenables the computer on the new advanced settings. At least thats my understanding but Sixlitre and SigEpBlue are the experts on this.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. Just keep an ear open for spark knock.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
You HAVE to pull the spout. Its the only way to time your motor properly. With the spout in, the ECM will keep the timing "bouncing" around.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This might be obvious, but let engine warm up to NORMAL.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I had it at normal.

So anyways, unplugged the spout and the timing mark was SOLID. Didn't move at all, though was at 10*s. I advanced it to 13*, re-tightened the distributor, checked it again still at 13*s. Put spout back in and took it for another drive. I gotta say, feels like a brand new truck! It used to shake at idle, run rough, etc. All gone. Shifter knob hardly vibrates. AWESOME.

Thanks to sixlitre for the write up and big thanks to sig for the tech advise (as well as corny and sackman)

FSB rocks! Can't wait to see if the mpg improves at all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts