Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going nuts for the past few months trying to figure out my bad shaking problem. I found the post from bucking bronco 93 on 1-10-06 titled so what happens when tq goes bad? I am having the same problems. My truck shakes so bad I think it is going to fall apart. I tryed what was mentioned about tapping brake while holding speed and the shaking stoped, tryed it at a few different speeds and same results. My question is before I spend a lot of $$$, is this a sure sign that it is the torque converter. I have also already changed all u-joints and have had all four tires rebalanced. Is this a fairly easy driveway job or am i better off having someone do it? I have worked on many car/trucks but have never had to drop a transmission.
also how do i tell what trany i have and is thear any converter that is better then what is in it ( i think stock)
1993 Bronco XLT
transmission un sure
31's
167,000 miles
Any one no what I am looking at to have this job done???

Forum: 1978-'79 Bronco's Post New Thread
Logged in as seno71 Title:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Before you go doing anything like you mentioned, check to make sure everything is tight on the drivetrain. My 95 shook uncontrollably as soon as it hit 27 mph and it got worse the faster I went. It turned out one of my transfer case bolts was about to come out, so I tightened that up and it fixed the problem. So before you go dropping the tranny, I would check to be sure it is not something like what happened to me. If that is good, I'm sure somebody here can answer your original question.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That sounds like a TQ to me. You have an E4OD. When you hold speed and hold slightly on the brakes you are disengaging the torque converter "lock up". The chattering is the TQ clutches going bad (if that is, indeed, the problem).

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMHO, i would definitely consider that a driveway job, plus it will give u the added knowledge of the ride and then u personally can make sure that everything is tight and up to par, ive done trans's b4 in my driveway, considerably easy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it took so long to reply but thank you for advice,Going to have to do it myself. To have done $700 to $1100. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts