Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing that radius arms are to be straight on a 78-79 bronco? If they are bent (it is visible), is that okay. I am replacing the bushins on both ends and noticed this. I however do not notice the tires wearing uneven or faster. I am checking so if this is an issue I can replace them while the Bronco is on a lift.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Bent? How? Where? Look at some of the SAS threads and you will see pix of people who have extended their RAs. If yours are different than theirs (bend wise) there is a problem. In fact... http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69270 in post five of this thread, there are pix from a few different angles. Hope this helps.

Chris

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a little bowed out. They are not as bowed as the SAS build pics even though those are supposed to be that way.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No, they should be straight.
I ran around with this for about a year never noticed uneven tire wear.

work with what ya got.....right?:toothless

help any?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, they should be straight.
I ran around with this for about a year never noticed uneven tire wear.

help any?
Yes it did help. Mine are not that bent but close. I have not even noticed uneven tire wear. Was your tire wear that noticeable?

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bent? How? Where? Look at some of the SAS threads and you will see pix of people who have extended their RAs. If yours are different than theirs (bend wise) there is a problem. In fact... http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69270 in post five of this thread, there are pix from a few different angles. Hope this helps.

Chris
Those aren't bent...they are CLEARANCED for larger tires. Need to get some for mine and do that.

Chris
If they are both bent the same, I would keep 'em that way and weld them solid on the sides...and stick a johnny joint on the end. Larger tires AND more flex.

Chris
nice! 78/79 do not need a sas, becouse we have it stock. the radious arms should be straight. i know you think it is funny to misslead people. here is a pic of mine with 39.5x15x15 tsl super swampers.

that's an old pic. with stock straight radius arms.
your jeep joke sucks.
berbie called, and she whant her jeep back?now at least thats funny.:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wow...Awkward...Since I said to LOOK at the SAS thread to get a pic of how they look and not to swap them over for his style vehicle. Only reference I made there to that was in my first post. Not trying to mislead him as other people HAVE done just that. Oh...nice stab at my STOLEN sig (that means I took it from another person), and nice pic of your bronco. Thanks for making a post that has SOOOOO much to do with the topic.

Chris

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
seawlaksee, dont worry too much about "mr. stock exhaust manifold is better headers" and can't seem to post more than 4 different angles of his truck here., some people find him very misleading. Personally I really dont think he knows WTF hes talkin about 80% of the time. (for the 20% I might have missed)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This a a pic of my radius arm on the driver side. The passenger side is very similar. Is this too bent or bowed for stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
mine was from the PO accident.kinda funny that yours bowed the other way...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah, it is kind of weird that they are bowed out. In all seriousness though, modified stock parts get used every day. If it has NO ill effect on your alignment or the way the vehicle drives/handles, I would say it is up to you. But with them bent OUT like that, you can have clearance issues. I hit mine with 33s so I can only imagine what yours will do. Personally, I would get a new set or straighten them, weld them, and extend them. But that is just me.

Chris

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it is kind of weird that they are bowed out. In all seriousness though, modified stock parts get used every day. If it has NO ill effect on your alignment or the way the vehicle drives/handles, I would say it is up to you. But with them bent OUT like that, you can have clearance issues. I hit mine with 33s so I can only imagine what yours will do. Personally, I would get a new set or straighten them, weld them, and extend them. But that is just me.

Chris
That is interesting, I run 33s and have never had a problem (that I know of). I will end up using these till I can my hands on a straight pair.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Something had to bend them like that. Accident, hit something hard with the front wheels or similiar. Do you have a picture of the passenger side? Might want to look at the radius arm mount brackets to make sure they are not bent or cracked anywhere. Stock from the factory was always straight AFAIK. If one side is bent worse than the other you won't notice tire wear till quite a few miles have been put on. I agree that they will cause a tire clearance issue bent the way they are.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I do not have a solid axle yet. I am waiting till I get all of my parts for it together AND for warm weather. Then, I have to other stuff, yadda yadda yadda.... But I agree with Ranger. But, like from my first post, you can fix em or get a new/different set that could make things better. The only thing I can see having a problem would be the caster angle. But with larger tires, it is hard to know if that even effected the angle. I could go on and on about "what ifs" but I seem to be getting redundant.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts