Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have my 87 302 oil pan dropped. Motor has had issuses with keepin oil pressure up. So far I have found a half clogged pump screen. I have some standard rod bearings sitting around....I know I should plastiguage the rod/bearings, so that I get the correct clearance....but i'm a lazy ass right now (motor still in the truck). Can I just put those standard bearings in, or will that cause crap to hit the fan? I know it won't be accurate by any means, but I figured it would help with boostin those psi's a little bit

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Why do you suspect the rod bearings, would be my 1st question?

You know the answer on mike'ing the journal and clearances. So if your going todo it, do it right vrs doing it all over again the 2nd time.

If the engine is truely hard on bearings, I would pull the engine , pop the pan and heads off and inspect all bearing surfaces, take whatever parts that need servicing to a appropiate machine shop and have the parts checked and serviced.

just my few cents laying around

·
Registered
331 Posts
without the proper bearing size in there you will shorten the life and possibly increase the cost of a rebuild... they require a vary narrow tolerance in bearing size for proper oiling.. both too big and too little a bearing will destroy your engine, you are better off leaving them alone than rolling the dice...

·
Registered
472 Posts
The problem with using new rod bearings in conjunction with old (worn) main bearings is that due to the increased flow past the worn mains that the increse in clearance provided, the now-tighter clearance at the rod bearing will cause too much oil to be forced out the sides of the main bearings....because it's simply got no where else to go.
In other words....even though you MIGHT see an increase of pressure at the pick-up point of the sender (or gauge), a lot of that is simply getting dumped back into the crankcase. Back before I learned better, I once installed a new pump,screen and a set of rod bearings in a flathead V8 and actualy LOST oil pressure on the gauge.

DGW

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
You can only replace the bearings if the rod and main surfaces are in perfect condition. Clean the pick up screen, Replace the iol pump with a standard volume pump and while you are in their replace the oil pump driveshaft with a heavy duty one from ARP.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can only replace the bearings if the rod and main surfaces are in perfect condition. Clean the pick up screen, Replace the iol pump with a standard volume pump and while you are in their replace the oil pump driveshaft with a heavy duty one from ARP.
x2

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
:stupid

Also, if you just pop those bearing inserts in without using PlastiGage, you get exactly what you deserve.

·
Registered
222 Posts
even if you plasti gauge them i don't think it would be an accurate measurement without having the rods reconditioned. the crank journal end is more than likely out of round. and if you just cram them in you may cause other knocks you never had before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy Shiz!!!!! I thought this was a flame free zone....lol....it was worth asking. I have a new ho pump, screen and driveshaft i will be putting in soon. Lets see what that does. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts