Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been throwing some Ideas in my head the bronco now has 150k on the 351 and is begining to have blow by and leak. Ive been looking a refresh kits (rings bearings and such) I dont want to stroke it and I really dont feel like coverting it to mass air ad Im satisfied with the power. Has anyone had success with these rering kits or is it going to be worth my time to just have a long block built. Suggestions, comments, Kick in the nuts?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I guess it depends how wore the cylinder walls. Are. If they are out of spec you have to bore it out or new rings won't help much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would look into how much a long block would cost unless you just want the satisfaction of having built it your self. I have had good success with rering kits. Just make sure everything is within specs. On my 97 ford p/u I decided to go with a long block I found on the net for 2500.00 it had a 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty and was a new engine not one that had been bored and rebuilt. I got it from http://www.powerpro2000.com I have been very pleased with mine so far 35,000 miles give or take a few
If I am looking at the right engine (88-93 5.8 Windsor, HO, Dipstick in Block, Non Roller Cam) it would cost you 1595.00 + 425.00 refundable deposit then mabey 1000.00 to have someone install or save the grand and do it yourself. It can be done in a weekend

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
If you're going to take the time to remove the engine for rings and bearings, do it right. Take it to a machine shop, have it hottanked, new cam bearings installed, cylinders honed or bored/whatever it takes to clean them up. Also have the heads rebuilt--new valve guides, valves replaced, new valve springs, heads resurfaced, and seats recut/replaced.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
If you're going to take the time to remove the engine for rings and bearings, do it right. Take it to a machine shop, have it hottanked, new cam bearings installed, cylinders honed or bored/whatever it takes to clean them up. Also have the heads rebuilt--new valve guides, valves replaced, new valve springs, heads resurfaced, and seats recut/replaced.
By the time you do all that you could just pay $1250 for a long block with a 3 year/unlimited mile warranty.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the time you do all that you could just pay $1250 for a long block with a 3 year/unlimited mile warranty.
Thats the same thing I was thinking. Like I said Im not going to stroke it I just want something that will run for another 200k. thanks for the input guys. I think Ill just pick one up I dont feel like building one right now I may just keep the old motor and start slowly.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah, if you have 150k and blowby your block/heads are probably gonna need some good machine work. Nothin out of the ordinary, but its time to rebuild it.

You could get a shortblock or longblock from autzone or advance for pretty cheap or even look around on ebay, theres some great(and crappy) companies selling long and shortblocks on there as well.

if your not lookin to up power any, you could probably rebuild the stock engine for about 1000-1500 if you careful and shop around. Thats prettymuch bone stock, and you would be doing most of the work.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Thats the same thing I was thinking. Like I said Im not going to stroke it I just want something that will run for another 200k. thanks for the input guys. I think Ill just pick one up I dont feel like building one right now I may just keep the old motor and start slowly.
That is a good idea, if you don't mind taking a hit on the core charge. Might as well add another $250-300 on to the price of the engine. I would have done the same thing you are wanting to but I liked the idea of the $300 back in my pocket at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts