Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing mass concrete sensors at work and am using this wire for my extensions:

Without using a knife (and a romex ripper is too big) what is the best tool for removing the outer sheath on this stuff? I have been using the serrated edge on my pocketknife but that is donezo as soon as safety or one of the big dogs sees it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I hated that stuff when I used it... Scissors did the job for me, but that's cause they won't buy me shit for tools.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Take a knife and go around it near the end of it. Then when the wire is exposed there should be a pull string in it. Pull that string and it will cut down the wire. Then just snip the jacket and tape it back down. If it is shielded cable roll the drain wire back and tape it down. ;)

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mass concrete sensors? what kinda sensors? what are ya doing?
When concrete is in a big enough chunk it will get hotter as the concrete cures. Get the concrete too hot or with too much of a differential you can have massive structural issues. The sensors are used to watch and prove the concrete did not do these things.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Cool stuff. I work as a consulting eng on large construction projects. We had a recent mat foundation pour that was 2300 CY. We discussed doing something like this, installing some temp probes into the center of the mat.

So what, you place several sensors around and look at the temp difference?What are you finding out?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Cool stuff. I work as a consulting eng on large construction projects. We had a recent mat foundation pour that was 2300 CY. We discussed doing something like this, installing some temp probes into the center of the mat.

So what, you place several sensors around and look at the temp difference?What are you finding out?
He's finding out how to strip wire. Engineers. :histerica

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just use my handy pair of dikes. Just the right pressure with a motion like you're whittling will make the outer jacket come right off. Same process works from stripping most wire. Takes some skill to get used to, but then it's second nature after that. They also have those fancy-schmancy auto-adjusting wire strippers that do a good job. That 10/2 stranded? Sure looks like it.

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's finding out how to strip wire. Engineers. :histerica
No, I have asking the best way to RIP the wire sheath open without getting an ass chewing from safety. Pocket knives are a no-no ( :doh0715: ) and razor knives require kevlar gloves.

I just use my handy pair of dikes. Just the right pressure with a motion like you're whittling will make the outer jacket come right off. Same process works from stripping most wire. Takes some skill to get used to, but then it's second nature after that. They also have those fancy-schmancy auto-adjusting wire strippers that do a good job. That 10/2 stranded? Sure looks like it.
I know what you mean on stripping without the tool, I'll give that a whirl next week.

Well, you pay the mass concrete consultant $25k for getting the report and mix submitted and beaten through the owners engineer. Then you pour the concrete around the sensors-we have maxed out at 145* which is way into the green zone.

It looks like 18-2 to me. 10-2 doesn't come in a reeel-pak box.
Look at the label in the picture.

I use one of these:

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/bralecutpsta.html
It has different notches for the outer sheathing thickness, where the blade comes out. Wont nick the wires, dont cut all the way through so you have to pull it loose.
The blade on that punch down tool is perfect! Good call.

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts