Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve,

I have a problem I have yet to figure out.

My neightbors 97 Lincoln towncar with the 4.6 and my wifes 2001 Taurus with the 12v 3.0 V6 Both ping like hell under loads.

I have done to both cars new plugs and wires (All properly gapped, and ford plug wires), but the problem still exists. The taurus has no codes, the towncar has one for an o2 sensor.

My question, Can a knock sensor go bad but still be ok in the eyes of the computer? Or do you have any ideas on how to rectify the situaton? My wife is currently running 89 octane to keep all pinging to a minimum and its helped greatly but I want to get to the root of the problem, not just band-aid it and spend 10 more cents a gallon on gas.

Any help is apprecated!
Jeff

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
BigBroncoXLT said:
My wife is currently running 89 octane to keep all pinging to a minimum and its helped greatly but I want to get to the root of the problem, not just band-aid it and spend 10 more cents a gallon on gas.

Any help is apprecated!
Jeff
Going to a higher octane fuel is not "bandaiding" it. If it pings with a low octane fuel, keep going to higher octane fuel until it stops. If you read your owners manual it will probably tell you what the min octane you can use is. If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and pull the knock sensor out of your bronco and put it in one of the cars to eliminate the knock sensor as a problem, or just test it. I'm sure there is a test procedure in the hanes book.

and unless you want to limit the help you get from this sight, I suggdest you don't ask for one guy in particular, I don't usually read those posts, and I believe Steve generally ignores those ones for a while.

EDIT: HA HA HA, listen to me, I've been on this sight for a few months, and you've been here for a couple of years... I think you know how this sight works and don't need a newbie telling you what's what, but I would try the higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I figured that it being a bronco sight...and knowing steve works on fords daily that he might be the one to ask. If he ignores it then so be it.

the manual says 87 octane, so there has to be a way to make it run on it. and I doubt very seriously that my broncos knock sensor will work on OBDII, but I cant say that I've looked so I could be wrong. As fer lookin in the book, I have one for the towncar but have yet to get one for the taurus since I havent had to really do anything to it untill now.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I figure if the plugs are the same than the sensor should work on one or the other. I have a whole bunch of sensors I've taken from other vehicles and have used them as needed, without a problem...yet.

I had a 91 Ranger with the 4 litre, which I bought brand new. The manual said it would run on a lower octane fuel, but I was never able to put anything but high octane and that is straight off the lot with only 25 kilometres on it after my test drive.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Every taurus i have ever driven pinged like that....It seems if you don't drive like you've got Ms. Daisy in the backseat they ping like all hell..... My employer has about 400 of these things running from the late 90's to present.. They all seem to do it.... Good luck-------Fog

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Just an FYI, Steve will never see this thread unless you email him to the wearabouts, no PM's, just Email, he doesn't go below the Fabrication forum.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
What brand of fuel, what gas station? Also try some octane booster. Some other things...
Timing off,
Wrong spark plugs,
Emission problems,
Vacuum leak.​

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems to do it less on Texaco, so thats what we have been running. And like Fog said, if I run the shit out of it for a few miles, it will get better for a mile or two and go right back to it.

Cant adjust timing
Motorcraft plugs, the ones the owners manual calls for
No emissions problems
No vacuum leak that I have found.

thanks for the replys guys.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i would try higher octane like others had said,

my f350 car carrier does that if i run teh cheapist sh!t i find but if i run mid - hi octane all knocks & pings go away. so it may do to test on running it with high octane for a few full ups

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im running 89..it keeps almost all the pinging down and I'll be damned if I am willing to run 93 in a STOCK engine. I dont like running 89, thats the reason for this thread. If the manual says it will run on 87, then it should run on 87.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Something else to think about. And it runs to the cost of gasoline, too.

There are 200 some different blends of gas running nationwide IIRC, depending on Federal, state and local emission regulations. And some change seasonally. I don't think "one octane fits all" cuts it. I think it depends a lot on where you live. You might have to live with the higher octanes.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marv said:
Something else to think about. And it runs to the cost of gasoline, too.

There are 200 some different blends of gas running nationwide IIRC, depending on Federal, state and local emission regulations. And some change seasonally. I don't think "one octane fits all" cuts it. I think it depends a lot on where you live. You might have to live with the higher octanes.

Maybe, but I want to try atleast...Gas jumped another 10 cents today to 2.35 for 87. goddamn aarabs!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
102k on the taurus and 150k on the towncar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts