Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not me but somebody I know went too deep. Water was deeper than they thought. Engine oil was milky. Engine was not run in this condition, it was trailered home. Oil has been changed a couple of times and looks good. No motor noise yet.

My question

How long (miles or time) did the engine last after this happened?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
i had a 400 in my pickup that got soaked, it had about 4 qts of water in it. i ran it hard with the water in it tryin to pull my buddy out, and drove it home(20 miles) than let it sit for 2 days than changed the oil.(4 times) to get the water out. it lasted about a year after all that. drove it everyday and wheeled it hard before it blew. it had crappy oil presure(25psi at 3500rpm) before it got full of water so it was on its way down anyways.... if it has good oil presure it should last a long time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You didn't run it and changed the oil right away. I'd say change the pvc(if you have one) and you'll probably be fine for a good long time. BTW did the motor die in the water? or did you shut it off. Reason I ask is that if it died from hydro lock then there is a chance you bent or broke something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i seen a jeep go underwater to the roof and got winched out, changed the oil and removed the plugs and the motor was fine, but not the electrical, not trying to get off topic but that guy didn't say thanks either:smilie_slap..nice thread

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
There's no reason a dunking should affect engine life at all as long as you got the oil changed right away. The best thing is to make sure the motor gets fully warmed up (40 to 50 miles of highway speeds) and the oil changed again before resuming normal driving. The water will boil off and get drawn through the PCV during normal driving as long as the engine reaches operating temperature for a while.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn't run it and changed the oil right away. I'd say change the pvc(if you have one) and you'll probably be fine for a good long time. BTW did the motor die in the water? or did you shut it off. Reason I ask is that if it died from hydro lock then there is a chance you bent or broke something.
Engine cut off but wasn't hydro locked, no water in pistons. It was then trailed and was not run with water in the oil, oil changed three times after warming up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i seen a jeep go underwater to the roof and got winched out, changed the oil and removed the plugs and the motor was fine, but not the electrical, not trying to get off topic but that guy didn't say thanks either:smilie_slap..nice thread
My wife did this in our old Jeep, jumped it into 6 feet of water. Winched it out, pulled the plugs, turned it over, and drove it 2 miles home. Changed all fluids, and it went another 50K before we sold it.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I did it to a 350 years ago and I still see the guy I sold it do driving it around every once in a while. You just gotta be sure you clean it out good. When it happened to me it was soaking in the river for about 4 hours, I drained everything and refilled it, then after running it for about 2 minutes I drained it all again. The next time I think I let it run 10 minutes. After that I stopped getting the milky oil but I changed the oil in everything one last time. I put another few thousand miles on the truck after I sank it and it never gave me problems because of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts