Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to find out infomation for a friend of mine....


they get money every week for child support but the father has decided to enter a rehab facility to clean up his act. how will that work with his child support since he will not be working during his time in rehab. is she just SOL for the money he should/would be paying out of his paychecks or is their a way that they can still get their money? if they do not recieve any child support during his time in rehab what happens then? will he go to jail if she reports him? the money is needed for her to live and support the child from what i understand and going without the weekly check will seriously hurt them in the ways of living.

any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. i have no idea where to begin looking on the net for these specific question.

thanks in advanced!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Heather, GENERALLY child support continues until modified by a Court in a proper proceeding, but my experience has been that most judges will not incarcerate under present circumstances......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Ghost is right, the support payments need to be ongoing through the time he'll be in rehab. If he wants to change this, he needs to go through the courts to ammend this for the specified times. The judge may or may not let him change it though.
 

·
Master of the Estate
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Maybe he can pay it out of savings while he's not working?

In NH, the mother could get public assistance, but this would have to be paid back once the support starts coming in again (& stupidly, they get first crack at the cash, so the mother STILL ends up not getting support until that's paid back).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
In CA, child support would accrue plus interest if he doesn't pay while in rehab, and then he would be liable for the back payments. The state has the power to suspend driver's licenses, revoke contractor licenses, etc., but to me this is just dumb, because if they thought it was hard to get money before, then how do they expect to get it when they take away the ability to work?

She should not expect to see any money while he is not EARNING ANY. It is unlikely that he has any savings if he is entering rehab. It amazes me that people don't undertand this concept. Oh well.
 

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
Joined
·
36,680 Posts
Geez... heaven forbid the guy be allowed a little time to get his own shit together.

"Sorry dude... but you have to stay a junkie becouse your at least brinin' in some money." :banghead
If he doesn't pay... he'll have to eventually. I don't even know though... I just made my first payment the end of last month, but I have to pay some organization, not the ex directly. Almost like I'd screwed up and been reported before I even got a chance to start.
 

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
Joined
·
4,585 Posts
peteyg said:
The state has the power to suspend driver's licenses, revoke contractor licenses, etc., but to me this is just dumb, because if they thought it was hard to get money before, then how do they expect to get it when they take away the ability to work?

It amazes me that people don't undertand this concept. Oh well.

Pete-
thats what happens when you expect "government" to do all your thinking. this is the same organization that thought it was fine to buy $600 hammers and $1000 coffee pots. I could go on but its a topic for another forum:beer ....but trust me, I get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
Tell her dont be a money whore. :->
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
peteyg said:
In CA, child support would accrue plus interest if he doesn't pay while in rehab, and then he would be liable for the back payments. The state has the power to suspend driver's licenses, revoke contractor licenses, etc., but to me this is just dumb, because if they thought it was hard to get money before, then how do they expect to get it when they take away the ability to work?

She should not expect to see any money while he is not EARNING ANY. It is unlikely that he has any savings if he is entering rehab. It amazes me that people don't undertand this concept. Oh well.
I'm all for equal jobs on both halves. If the ex-wife/ex-husband cannot hold down a job, then the better half should pay to keep food in their kids' mouths, regardless of how bad he/she has it. If they don't, who should--me the tax payer?? Have a kid, pay for it and keep your arse off of drugs to do it. Work three or four jobs if you have to. Don't expect the government(aka public) to do it for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Your friend should first ask ex to make arrangements to keep the money coming. It will be HIS responsibility to make arrangements to meet the support order, not hers. If ex won't make arrangements, then I can only hope ex understands the consequences. Ex is in for one hell of a shock if your friend goes on public assistance. The state of Florida does NOT play...they start by locking their garnishment claws into ex's paycheck and they WILL get any back due support. I have a female friend in Bradenton who had to sic the state on her ex. Boy, did he ever get a wake-up call.

PS. If ex lives out of state, this scenario changes drastically. Interstate cooperation is dependant on the state the ex lives in. States like Oregon (mine) will comply with the interstate garnishment order REAL quick like. Texas may or may not, depending on the circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
hoot2dr said:
Your friend should first ask ex to make arrangements to keep the money coming. It will be HIS responsibility to make arrangements to meet the support order, not hers. If ex won't make arrangements, then I can only hope ex understands the consequences. Ex is in for one hell of a shock if your friend goes on public assistance. The state of Florida does NOT play...they start by locking their garnishment claws into ex's paycheck and they WILL get any back due support. I have a female friend in Bradenton who had to sic the state on her ex. Boy, did he ever get a wake-up call.

PS. If ex lives out of state, this scenario changes drastically. Interstate cooperation is dependant on the state the ex lives in. States like Oregon (mine) will comply with the interstate garnishment order REAL quick like. Texas may or may not, depending on the circumstances.
I don't think you got the jist of the post. The guy is about to go into rehab and will have no income. What part of $0.00 do you think to state will garnish? Sure, he has a support order, and sure, he'll go into arrears, but she still isn't gonna get zipity doo until he goes back to work. It sounds like he was paying while able, so the order itself isn't the issue.

Let me tell you a little about how fuk'd up it is to be an honest man in a system that automatically assumes that you aren't....nevermind...you don't want to hear me bitching all night...Lets just say that the biggest victims of a divorce aren't always women OR kids...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
Last time I checked you cant go to jail for being poor......Time to start sellin on Ebay or Some other at home Job...:toothless
 

·
Sway's jealous of my
Joined
·
2,856 Posts
4xPepe` said:
Geez... heaven forbid the guy be allowed a little time to get his own shit together.

"Sorry dude... but you have to stay a junkie becouse your at least brinin' in some money." :banghead ....
:stupid
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top