Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FSM Lifetime
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger door panel recently started rattling, so I took off the door panel to replace some broken tabs, and decided I wanted to insulate the baby and kill two birds with one stone.

I've already applied one layer of peel and seal to the inner door panel. So far so good, there seems to be a slight decrease in outside noise compared to driving without a door panel, and my speaker no longer rattles the door.

My question is, is it worth it/good investey to do two layers on the inner door panel? And maybe even three? How about adding it onto the actual door panel?

And should I take great care to cover EVERY inch of door with atleast one layer? so far I have a good 95% coverage with only the very bottom and edges being slightly uncovered, but I think that should be fine..

The goal of my truck is to have a very good sound system, and keep very warm in the cold Alaskan winters, so I need a good sound and heat shield. I do think I will add some peel and seal to the back of the door panel, but I wanna know how intense I should go with this.

Any suggestions from peel and seal users will be greatly appreciated ;)

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
4 of my rigs have had some form of sound deadening done. The diesel has 5 layers of P&S alone, plus 2 layers of dynamat, fiberglass insulation and an extra layer of jute padding. Talk about overboard.

You need to put at least one complete layer on the exterior panel, to see a noticeable difference you should go with at least two. Put an extra layer (about 1sq ft) behind the speaker also. Another thing to keep in mind, unless you put at least 2 layers of P&S on every square inch of your bronco, I'm talking headliner, door panels, floor, canopy, rear panels, etc then you won't retain anymore noticeable heat in your bronco.

Go as crazy as you can afford, the more the better.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have some e-dead that im gonna try as soon as i get around to fixing the roof on my fourdoor, and finishing paint on the two door. I got it from elemental designs. Another reason i have not done it to the foursoor is because im not sure what to do it you ever have to remove the stuff

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I have some e-dead that im gonna try as soon as i get around to fixing the roof on my fourdoor, and finishing paint on the two door. I got it from elemental designs. Another reason i have not done it to the foursoor is because im not sure what to do it you ever have to remove the stuff
The backing is tar, you will never get it off. Why would you ever want to remove it anyways? I have a lot of e-dead laying around here. Its alright, just a little thinner then most.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, looks like I'm gonna go and put two layers on there. I'm just wondering if I should try some Raammatt or Second skin before it's too late. Anyone have experiences with those or others like dynamat?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
I put 2 layers on the exterior door panel and one on the interior panel. Greatly reduced the rattles and road noise. I think my concern was making sure the door panel could secure to the door properly, so I just went with one layer on the interior panel. I only used SnP and honestly, it worked great. My buddy used Dynamat and was pissed when he realized I got the same results with a product that was less than half the cost...

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
I put 2 layers on the exterior door panel and one on the interior panel. Greatly reduced the rattles and road noise. I think my concern was making sure the door panel could secure to the door properly, so I just went with one layer on the interior panel. I only used SnP and honestly, it worked great. My buddy used Dynamat and was pissed when he realized I got the same results with a product that was less than half the cost...
thats because they are the exact same thing, just stamping dynamat on one doubles the cost :rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
There is a product out there that I can't quite remember the name of at the moment that's similar to P&S and Dynamat but it's actually cheaper per Sq Ft than both. If I can find the thread either here or on my Dodgetalk forum I'll edit this post to name it.

I would think that you would get better results by using closed cell foam or some other insulation type material that wouldn't absorb water easily instead of multiple layers of Mat. I did 1 layer in the rear area of my Bronco and noticed a difference but I also noticed a bigger difference after I reinstalled the vinyl flooring with the heavy pad over the area also. It's always been my understanding that Dynamat merely helps to reduce resonance from the metal.

edit: Found it. The stuff is called RAAMat. Here's a thread I was thinking about.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255499

1 - 8 of 8 Posts