Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ran in to a problem here with my work truck. This is the first winter I've used it and it wasn't much of a problem with my other truck so I don't know here... probably because its a lot heavier I'm guessing.
Its a 2 wheel drive truck and when needed I use cables on all of the back tires. I like chains better, but they can really mark up my customer's driveways if there isn't any snow or ice to run on top of so I've always used cables instead. The problem is if I'm going up a hill any steeper then 5% or so that DOESN'T have any snow or ice on it the back tires spin excessivley. The truck will move along at walking speed, but it needs at least 10 mph of wheel speed to do it. I'm not sure if the little roller things on the cables are rolling under the tire or if they are grinding along the pavement when the tires start spinning. My question is, does anyone have a problem like this with chains on slightly steep hills that are plowed clear and dry? I'm sure the chains with the "V" biter things would get a grip on the pavement going up a hill, but what about the standard chains without them?
I'd consider getting two sets of chains and dump the cables if its not a problem and just stay off cleared driveways, but that can be a pain in the ass if its a long way to walk. I've used cabled and chains on my 4 wheel drive trucks and of course thats not a problem with the fronts pulling along.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts