Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking at a 91 bronco with a 300CI I-6 motor, and a 4 speed tranny. I hear good things about the motor, I hear they have tons of torque, and are super relaible. How reliable were the 4 speed transmissions that went into those?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If it's a T18, don't expect much trouble out of it. I had a 300/T18 combo in my F150 when I first got it and absolutely loved it except for one thing: no overdrive. Other than that I had absolutely no complaints about it whatsoever.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
regardless they are the most bomb proof trannys on earth;)

Only one that isnt is called an SROD, 4 speed w/OD, its an aluminum hunk a shiat.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I love my 300. Starts at -20 degrees, runs great, power is just fine for me. I have the M5OD w/ overdrive and love it as well. Specifically looked for the motor/trans combo. Didn't want an auto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going back up tonight to get some pics of the bronco if it is still light out. And I'll talk to the guy that's selling it, find out what transmission, and transfer case is in it, and how many miles are on it. But I'm not as worried about the mileage, one of my friends has a f-150 with the same motor, and it's at a little over 200,000 miles, and running strong, and he also knows someone else with a motor with 400,000 original miles on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question, now does this motor compare to the 302 v-8? Gass mileage, power, torque, etc.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Same milage. The 300 torques through the bottom end, and the 302 powers through the top end. Also the 300 will get you home every time.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Can't say on the mileage. From what I've seen/heard it seem that mileage differs from 300 to 300. For instance, I'm pulling down probably about 9mpg (running 32s and 4.10 gears...I'd guess around 12 with 34-35" tires) while others may get 14 mpg (31s and 3.55 gears). I've seen it all over the place; so let's say 12-15mpg combined. Here's a HP/TQ chart from 1981, not the most uptodate, but hey I take what I can get:

*Provided courtesy of 82F100SWB @ fordsix.com*

If you'd like to know which is "better", then I'll have to draw the line there....different strokes for different folks.

T18 or T19
From what I've gathered, T19s were put only in the F250/350 lineups.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
My 300 and 5 speed has gotten as high as 16.xx mpg, and I feel this tank is close to 17. Bone stock though.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
50Gunner said:
My 300 and 5 speed has gotten as high as 16.xx mpg, and I feel this tank is close to 17. Bone stock though.
i really hate you, bastard :goodfinge

they are indestructable engines. i pull about 13-13.5 in the city with 32's and 3.55's. and i don't know what to do with all the torque. i had about 400lbs in the back for the winter, gas mileage barely went down and i had no idea it was back there.

Originally Posted by: Adrianspeeder
Same milage. The 300 torques through the bottom end, and the 302 powers through the top end. Also the 300 will get you home every time.

Adrianspeeder
:stupid

·
Registered
150 Posts
The 300 makes ever so slightly less torque than the 302, but it does so at a much lower rpm.

The great thing about the 300 isn't so much the peak torque, but where and when she makes it.

I'm talking about the EFI versions, as i have little experience with carbies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great Engines, I have one in my Bronco and in a 95 F250 that I recently traded in.

The 95 was EFI with a ZF 5-speed, 2wd. I pulled the Bronco with it on a 16' tandom axle trailer from Griffin, GA to here in OK... about 900 miles not to mention going up Mount Eagle... and it was no prob for the big 6. Most inclines it would pull in 4th, a couple I downshifted to 3rd, but not because it wouldn't pull it, I just had to slow down through some of the curves so it took a lower gear to get my speed back up on the straight inclines. When I pulled the Bronco out there the first time I hooked it behind the u-haul truck and crawled up Mount Eagle at about 15mph in second gear... it almost killed that truck. It was a 1-ton chevy truck... with a 350, really sad.

My Bronco has a carbed 300 with the SROD 4 speed w/OD. That tranny is fine if your running up and down the road, but big tires and abuse have about destroyed mine. The ZF or T-18/T-19 is a much better mate for the 300.

One cool thing about the 300 is it's gear drive on the timing, no timing chains or belts to break...

When my bronco was stock, 31x10.50's, stock 1bbl carb, and 3.08 gears... it got about 16-18 mpg... no lie. It gets about 10-12 now. My F250 never got better that 14mpg.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll second the towing ability of the 300.

My F-150 towed another F-150 (it had a 4.2L v6), and i never had to shift out of 4th to go up hills.

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
I have an '81 carbed 300 and it is a beast of a motor. However, if you're looking for top speed, you won't find it here. It's lack of horsepower just doesn't get the big Broncos moving very fast. My top speed on the flats was 70mph and that was with a tail wind, back seat removed, and the top off.

With mine, I get around 18 - 22 mpg on the highway, depending on how I feel like driving that day. My lowest mpg was 17, and that's with a completely full load of luggage, belongings, and people over a distance of 450 miles in 10 degree weather. You can't argue with that. And this is on a 25 year old motor that's never had an overhaul or rebuild.

Off road, they are as most say, unstoppable. You won't go blasting through things like the big V8s, but you'll always make it. They have a great amount of torque at very low RPMs (specs say 255 @ 1400 RPMs) and never bat an eye at heavy work.

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a powerful trailblaster, get a V8, but if you want an unstoppable trailcrawler, get the I6.

All in all, V8s are cool, I wouldn't mind have another Bronco with one, but I won't trade my I6 for it.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
AbandonedBronco said:
I However, if you're looking for top speed, you won't find it here. My top speed on the flats was 70mph and that was with a tail wind, back seat removed, and the top off.
Try down shifting into 3rd (1:1) or else something just doesnt sound right with your truck.
My old 302 could pull about 85 at 3/4 pedal and that thing had a timing chain so loose I pulled it off without removing any bolts. Now I can do at least 120 with my new engine and still have another 1000 RPMs But we are now comparing apples to oranges, as HP is the only thing my new 302 has (320HP, about 32 ft/lbs of torque)

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
Steve83 said:
Is 115 mph not fast enough for you? I've set my cruise over 100mph for more than an hour, and it wasn't topped out.

Are you talking about going 115 with the 300 6 in a Bronco!? I guess my engine IS 25 years old... Or is there another secret that I don't know about?

·
Super Moderator
5,016 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Try down shifting into 3rd (1:1) or else something just doesnt sound right with your truck.
My old 302 could pull about 85 at 3/4 pedal and that thing had a timing chain so loose I pulled it off without removing any bolts. Now I can do at least 120 with my new engine and still have another 1000 RPMs But we are now comparing apples to oranges, as HP is the only thing my new 302 has (320HP, about 32 ft/lbs of torque)
Yeah, 320 HP is a lot different than my 120. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
AbandonedBronco said:
I have an '81 carbed 300 and it is a beast of a motor. However, if you're looking for top speed, you won't find it here. It's lack of horsepower just doesn't get the big Broncos moving very fast. My top speed on the flats was 70mph and that was with a tail wind, back seat removed, and the top off.

With mine, I get around 18 - 22 mpg on the highway, depending on how I feel like driving that day. My lowest mpg was 17, and that's with a completely full load of luggage, belongings, and people over a distance of 450 miles in 10 degree weather. You can't argue with that. And this is on a 25 year old motor that's never had an overhaul or rebuild.

Off road, they are as most say, unstoppable. You won't go blasting through things like the big V8s, but you'll always make it. They have a great amount of torque at very low RPMs (specs say 255 @ 1400 RPMs) and never bat an eye at heavy work.

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a powerful trailblaster, get a V8, but if you want an unstoppable trailcrawler, get the I6.

All in all, V8s are cool, I wouldn't mind have another Bronco with one, but I won't trade my I6 for it.

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild. Even with my low gearing and small tires (relative to the gears) my truck will easily do 85mph in OD (found that out the hard way :duh)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts