Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my buddy has a 84 F-150 with the straight 6 in it, he's been leaking oil and my best guess as to why was his valve cover gasket, it appeared to be leaking from there, well he took it into a shop and had it looked at and they told him he's leaking oil because of 'blow back', now i've heard the term tossed around a few times but i have no clue what it is, and i can't for the life of me find ANY information on it inside these forums or on the internet, it may be a dumb question but i'm just curious as to what 'blow back' is, and if maybe it might be called something else that i would recognize...

thanks...

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
when you say leaking, you mean you're losing oil somewhere but you can't find out where?
probably oil getting past the piston rings and being burned up in the combustion chamber. also called "blow by" if were thinking of the same thing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so "blow back" as this mechanic my friend took his truck to seems to be calling it is most likely just his way of saying that my friend is burning oil? i don't think its burning oil, no smoke out of the exhaust, but it is losing oil, but it appeared to be leaking out of the head where the VC is mated with the head, but he didn't listen to me and just try replacing the VC gasket (i think he was waiting for me to do it for him actually :() he took it into a shop and now the mechanic has him convinced that he needs a new engine, but burning oil doesn't mean he needs a new engine, just new piston rings...

in all honesty, while looking under his hood it just appeared that his VCG was bad and leaking, and there wasn't really any other signs of his engine burning oil, you think maybe the mechanic is tryin to make a quick buck off him or that it actually is burning oil? i dunno, i was just trying to figure out what this mechanic was talking about so i could better assess my friends standpoint, i think i wanna have another look under his hood now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts