Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up stripping one of the front holes in the floor that the passenger seat bolts down to. I am refurbishing my truck and would like to know if that piece is an insert of a whole floor panel piece. Does anyone have any pics? Im not at home right now for awhile and want to try to order the piece if possible. thanks

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I ended up stripping one of the front holes in the floor that the passenger seat bolts down to. I am refurbishing my truck and would like to know if that piece is an insert of a whole floor panel piece. Does anyone have any pics? Im not at home right now for awhile and want to try to order the piece if possible. thanks
There are heat shields that make it difficult to get to Lightning

I just drilled out the captured nut and tapped new, bigger threads into it and used a larger bolt, until I got a new nut welded in years later.

Up in the Arctic I even used a drywall toggle bolt to keep her together til' I got it shipped back down;

(pic whoring opp, couldn't resist):toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
605 Posts
Why not just run the bolt through the hole and stick a nut on it?
There should be a sufficient amount of the bolt sticking through the floor to do this...if not you could always use a longer bolt

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I believe there is a square nut welded to the underside of the floorpan, and the seat bracket bolt threads into it from above. ON two of my Broncos, I just used a new bolt with a large flat washer, lock and nut from below to anchor the bracket. Like said, it's a bit hard to get to under the cat. conv. heat shield. The floorpan is very thin, and welding a new nut/insert is n't easy.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
I believe there is a square nut welded to the underside of the floorpan, and the seat bracket bolt threads into it from above. ON two of my Broncos, I just used a new bolt with a large flat washer, lock and nut from below to anchor the bracket. Like said, it's a bit hard to get to under the cat. conv. heat shield. The floorpan is very thin, and welding a new nut/insert is n't easy.
That's what I did also. Here in the rust belt...it was a mess...so bigger bolt, bigger nut, big washers in cab and underneath...and off I went. Anything I do will rust in two years anyways... Been holding up excellent so far.

·
Banned
11,736 Posts
The OE part isn't really a nut, and it isn't welded. It's a very soft block of steel with a hole in it that's crimped into the sheet metal. When the seat bolt is installed, it makes its own threads in the block. It's not very difficult to knock one out of another truck, or even from an unused location on YOUR truck, and put it where you need it. Getting it to stay in place while you're installing the bolt is another matter... :shrug But every truck has mounting points for both captain's chairs AND a bench, so scavenge one that's not in use.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
The OE part isn't really a nut, and it isn't welded. It's a very soft block of steel with a hole in it that's crimped into the sheet metal.
British Leyland

called this sort of cost cutting measure a "captured nut".

I wouldn't care except, as you say Steve, they don't stay "captured" as long as we'd like them to (like for as long as we own the vehicle:banghead).

Wonder how much money per Bronco Ford saved on that one :doh0715:

F#@%ing bean counters !

Sixlitre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.