Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I set my timing yesterday and i want to make sure i did it right. i saw the marks on the balancer and marked the one long on off, then i warmed up the engine disconnected the spout connector and hooked up the light. i got the line that i marked off on the balancer even with the marker and that was it. did i do this right? I am going to order some timing tape and go that route but i want to make sure i am putting it on right. thanks for the help guys. and o btw i searched

ken

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Yeah, as long as you put your line where you wanted your timing to be, and assuming that you attached the timing light to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire. You should be good to go!

Oh, and don't forget to replace the spOUT connector! I've done that a couple times and wondered why it wouldn't rev over 2500. Doi!

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put the line on the balancer there was a lines already on it and i assumed that the first one was TDC so i just made set the timing at 10* BTDC it runs better but it wasnt off by that much.

ken

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
There actually are numbers on the balancer. At least, on mine there are.

Check out my thread on the timing bump, look at the enlarged picture of the balancer before I put the timing tape on it. You can just barely see the numbers.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sewiv said:
There actually are numbers on the balancer. At least, on mine there are.

Check out my thread on the timing bump, look at the enlarged picture of the balancer before I put the timing tape on it. You can just barely see the numbers.

are those marks the degrees before top dead center?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yup. If you click on this, you can see the 10 and 20 and the marks in between them, which are really the only ones you care about.

It's a lot easier to see with human eyes than for me to take a picture of.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What I always do is rub some chalk (or in this case some drywall dust) into the numbers and marks to make them stand out much better. But, basically TDC is the middle hash mark. ATC is to your left and BTC is to your right. (If you're looking down from the front of the engine, like you normally would be to time it). These pictures are backwards, becaus I took them from under, with the camera backwards.

Hope it helps.

Edit::TDC isn't the middle mark exactly....but you can see it in the pics.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah both of them were clear thanks guys i will check it out. we set it in the night time. it runs good so we must be close

·
Registered
867 Posts
wwatsonh said:

aaahhhh looks like you got a little oil leak going there, or is that the broncos tears of love it leave on the driveway for ya.:toothless :histerica

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I always have the zero line marked then advance the timing light itself to set it at 10*. Then if you want to get really accurate after your done with the #1 cylinder check the #6 cylinder and see if its off. If it is average the two so there at 10*.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got it thanks. redid it tonight the right way and we had the timing retarded. well it is at 10btdc and the truck runs 100 percent better. thanks for all the help and the pics were freakin awesome

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MikE2 said:
I always have the zero line marked then advance the timing light itself to set it at 10*. Then if you want to get really accurate after your done with the #1 cylinder check the #6 cylinder and see if its off. If it is average the two so there at 10*.

oh mike i dont think i can do that with my timing light it cost me 9.99 at harbor freight

·
Registered
867 Posts
redwagon said:
:twak be nice Mike...Kens gotta save money for Hookers and blow....:goodfinge

nuthing wrong with that!!:rockon

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fvck off mike. its not that im cheap i just aint paying 40 bucks for a vaccuum advance timing light that i dont need. this one works just fine.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
redwagon said:
:twak be nice Mike...Kens gotta save money for Hookers and blow....:goodfinge

Damn right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts