Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question.. I have a 96 with ABS up front and it has done nothing but caused me problems. I also have the ttb out of an 84 sitting in my garage which i know parts for will be cheaper for well at least i hope.. Is there any real advantage of having ABS on my Bronco or not? The Bronco is my daily driver. Also i understand the 84 ttb will bolt right up but will the brakes work as normal? I think so but you never know. Thanks. Yes i searched. :thumbup

Shawn

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yes everything should bolt up, but why would you pull your 96TTB to put in a older one........when all you have to do is disable your ABS, and you will be in the same place.

As for the more money for parts......like calipers. Well when I put calipers on my 93 they were like $30 each.....

Oh BTW I disconnected my ABS a long long time ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the information i was looking for.. My brakes are acting retarded.. I took my truck to pepboys to have my brakes done and 2 months later they are grinding again. I dont drive the truck hard and i really havent had to much time to wheel it. It has been to Glamis 4 or 5 times but nothing hard enough to cause it to grind already.. I think i might buy new calipers and pads and do it myself this time... Dont know why i trusted pepboys...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Go buy yourself a Haynes manual and a repair CD for your year Bronco......the money that will cost you will be made back 10X over on your first brake job!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
steve, the 84 bko's didn't have sliding/floating calipers. they had fixed calipers?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I was going to say pretty much the same as Steve, except the part about the differences between the two TTBs.

Replacing the calipers will probably fix your problem, even your rubber brake hoses could contribute to your problem. Especially since it's your daily driver why would you want to get rid of your ABS?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is why i was asking if there were any real advantages of one over the other. I have done many brake jobs this will be the first on my Bronco though. Time is money and when i dont got time i spend the money. This time I'll go buy some calipers and brake pads and make sure my rotors dont need to be shaved again they were brand new 2 months ago.. thanks for the information.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
ABS is a system. Not really a mechanical system. It won't cause your brakes to "grind". The ABS light came on in my '93 about four months back. It's still on, i just ignore it. One day i will eventually pull codes to fix it, just more worried about other things right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts