Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a versatile SUV for awhile, something that can handle rough weather or bad roads. Someone in my local area is offering a 95 Bronco for $1350. The body is a little rough (with a little damage around the driver door hinge area, usual rust problems, etc), but it just had an engine and transmission rebuild not that long ago.

Works well, drives well, 4x4 works. His main issue is that it's a gas hog and he's wanting something cheaper for a daily commuter, wheras I'm just looking for something that can go offroad and serve as a good all-weather vehicle.

It has a brush guard on front, 351 engine. Tires are OK, Interior is nice. Seems to run pretty good for its age. I'm wondering primarily if that's a decent deal for what is offered, and what to expect to need to replace in the near future? If anyone has any tips or suggestions about their experiences with that model I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I've been looking for a versatile SUV for awhile, something that can handle rough weather or bad roads. Someone in my local area is offering a 95 Bronco for $1350. The body is a little rough (with a little damage around the driver door hinge area, usual rust problems, etc), but it just had an engine and transmission rebuild not that long ago.

Works well, drives well, 4x4 works. His main issue is that it's a gas hog and he's wanting something cheaper for a daily commuter, wheras I'm just looking for something that can go offroad and serve as a good all-weather vehicle.

It has a brush guard on front, 351 engine. Tires are OK, Interior is nice. Seems to run pretty good for its age. I'm wondering primarily if that's a decent deal for what is offered, and what to expect to need to replace in the near future? If anyone has any tips or suggestions about their experiences with that model I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

id say when you go there pull codes immediately before buying and maybe you can use that as leverage.... check tranny fluid color as well, listen for vacuum leaks, when its idling tap the throttle to above 2k and let it off, make sure it just falls back to normal rpm range.... turn on the heater with the blower motor on high and see how much voltage drop (should be significant with the 2g alternators) and then turn on the headlights and windshield wipers (have all three going at the same time)

apart from that.... i got nothing

·
Registered
263 Posts

You can probably part it out for that much. but they can be costly to keep in good condition. Just paid $2200 to have my transmission overhauled. Edmunsens list good shape at $3200 from dealer and $1600 from private party here in California. Rust can be dealt with if it's not severe and you don't say where your located, so I don't know how to respond. If your looking for an every other week project that's going to cost you twice what the truck is worth, then buy it. Also, the mileage suck 10-15 mpg tops.

For normal road driving in bad weather, there are better options.

·
Registered
862 Posts
what i've learned when I got my 95 (though it's a 302) is suspension work = $$$$ it's not bad if you got friends to help out and be able to do some yourself but the little things here and there will nickel and dime you HOWEVER, once done, expect another (probably) 80K miles of trouble free (if ever if you replace some with poly and not rubber) maintenance.

personal motto working on cars and trucks: if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks for all the great replies! This gives me some idea what to look out for and helps out a bunch.

I'm in Alabama. Winter usually isn't too bad, but we get a lot of nasty weather and the occasional ice storm. On the up side we have a lot of nice off roading country here.

On the MPG, yeah, I know this thing is going to get be a gas hog. If I'm using it for something other than getting out when my car can't make it, it would either be to go off road (which would tear my car up) or haul something. Not planning to take a lot of distance drives in it. It's more for utility, fun, and a weekend project.

Repair-wise, I don't know quite yet. There are two junk yards I can source from locally, a ford dealership if the s**t really hits the fan, and a few guys I know who would probably be down for helping if it needed major work. That part is going to be a roll of the dice, since anything can run great until you get it home LOL.

I dunno, used cars are like that. Have had some that turned into a POS a month after buying it and some that were diamonds in the rough and just needed some proper TLC.

In any case I've got till Tuesday to figure it out. Thanks again for all the replies!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Get the full info on the engine & trans rebuild. A rebuilt trans in a 95 alone would cost more than that purchase price.
totally. need receipts.

and in all honesty a properly running 351 can get better than 16pmg on the highway if it's pretty stock. My truck now 148k, with 37's/lifted, and added weight, can still manage 13 or so on the highway, and 11 or so city as an average.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
If you pay someone else to do the labor, pretty soon you will have spent just as much as the bronco cost to buy in repairs alone. If you can find a cheap mechanic you trust, or do the work yourself it can be a great vehicle once you do fix all the issues. These aren't Garage-queen Corvettes, we beat our broncos up, and they show it :rockon

·
Registered
128 Posts
Drive it. Get a feel for the steering. Could need tie rods and ball joints. Again if u do it urself it's not too bad. You can't tell what the compression is just by driving it but you can get an idea. Is it real sluggish? U can get an idea when you get on it by feeling how the power is transferred thru he drivetrain. I agree with paper/receipts for overhauls. I'd be suspicious if they don't have any. Otherwise, that price isn't too bad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check fluids. Look for leaks. Test drive it. That will tell you a lot. If the steering is tight, throttle response is good, and there are no shifting issues, $1350 is a fair price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts