Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the "All you ever wanted to know about lifts" thread and looking into several posts and lift companies I think Im going to go with an 8" Skyjacker lift. But Ive read several times that a lift that high causes all kinds of problems and that the TTB and 8.8 cant handle 39.5 tires, which is what I want to run. Are the 39.5s too much for the TTB and 8.8 only if you wheel hard or there just too much regardless? Can they survive on a daily driver for awhile? I see "Blaze" has a setup similiar to what I want and he seems to be fine but others have all kinds of trouble. Assuming I get the lift done right with all the necessary accesories will I still be screwed? If I plan on going SAS will getting this lift be a waste of time? Is it possible to fit 39.5s on a 6" lift without using a body lift? I like the BDS (although no one sells it hardly) and the Dick Cepek but from what Ive read only an 8" lift on my 1996 Bronco will allow 39.5s. What kind of problems can i expect with this (other then loss of power until I regear the rear)?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
SizeMatters said:
If I plan on going SAS will getting this lift be a waste of time?
YES
SizeMatters said:
Is it possible to fit 39.5s on a 6" lift without using a body lift?
do you own a sawzall and are you willing to use it?
SizeMatters said:
I like the BDS (although no one sells it hardly) and the Dick Cepek
if damager can get one in Canada, i am sure you can get one. its called the interweb.
SizeMatters said:
Are the 39.5s too much for the TTB and 8.8 only if you wheel hard or there just too much regardless?
basically, yes. get used to replacing wheel bearings, even if it is a DD and even if you go straight 44. with that big lift and heavy tires, you'll probably run into issues of the brackets bending or breaking the frame too.
SizeMatters said:
Can they survive on a daily driver for awhile?
define awhile...
SizeMatters said:
Assuming I get the lift done right with all the necessary accesories will I still be screwed?
the issue is the strength of the drivetrain, not the lift itself; although with an 8" lift you are entering the sketchy at best zone.
SizeMatters said:
but from what Ive read only an 8" lift on my 1996 Bronco will allow 39.5s.
see sawzall statement.
SizeMatters said:
What kind of problems can i expect with this (other then loss of power until I regear the rear)?
forgetting to regear the front would be a problem, but it doesn't sound like you're the kind of person who will be wheeling. probably cruising the mall for high school chicks am i right? :goodfinge

·
College User
2,023 Posts
Andy351 said:
forgetting to regear the front would be a problem, but it doesn't sound like you're the kind of person who will be wheeling. probably cruising the mall for high school chicks am i right? :goodfinge

Have to have those hardcore pavement pushers. :thumbup :goodfinge

If you regrear the rear only just remove the front driveshafrt. Youu will be glad then if you even hit that buttom, or floor knob. :wacko

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
if you do decide to go with this lift, my i sugest going with new rear springs as opposed to lift blocks. the springs will cost more, but i havent heard to many people complaining about the skyjacker springs. more than a few complaints about lift blocks.
also ask around about this lift in the for sale section. i recently sold a 8" skyjacker lift. i am sure there are others out there. you could probably get a used one in good shape for half what it is new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Skyjacker lift on a '98 Cheorkee and I was not impressed with it. Surprisingly, the best lift I have ever used is procomp (out of Rough Country, Skyjacker, Superlift and Procomp). I was very impressed with the Procomp lift on my '92 Bronco. I pounded it hard and it never broke, even catching air over sand dunes in the desert.
I had 35's and a slightly modded 302 on the '92 with 3.55 gears. I really needed to regear badly. I would not even consider going with 39's without budgeting for gears first. Overdrive will just be a memory and 4wd Lo will be a must use every time you wheel not to mention the heat buildup in the auto tranny.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lets put it this way. I only got a 6 in. lift and I still pull the girlies. I guarantee they can't tell. Your just gonna run into trouble by runnin 39.5s. If you need that big of a truck to go to the mall and pick up chicks, you should probably consentrate more on gettin some new shoes, braces, haircut etc.
6 in. lift and 35's will do it. :thumbup

·
Registered
274 Posts
Skyjacker is the way to go, I have the 6 in skyjacker. If you want to wheel hard with the 8 inch lift and big tires, you will destroy your TTB, and the 8.8 is rated for a a tire max of 35's. I have thought about the same setup myself, you will definitely have to look into a SAS, and maybe even a beefier rear axle, Ford 9 inch, or Dana 60 (with a few mods). I decided to just lift mine 6 inches, and now i have money for beefin up the engine and for lockers and gears. Good luck :rockon

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
I'm not a fan of the biblejacker stuff for one reason: they stamped "jesus is lord" and "praise him" on every other page of the catalog I ordered from them. They make a good product, but I hate people pushing their religious agenda on me...I want to :slap :lowblow :slap :twak :lowblow those :goodfinge

Mitch

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Just saw this post, sorry for the delay. Yes, I am very pleased with them (whoever they worship..:toothless) Like GearHead said, order the leaves instead of blocks...well worth it IMHO. I ran 38.5' with an 8 inch lift but they rub when ya wheel hard..if you'r gonna pound the streets trolling for chicks it'll work, but for a wheelin' set-up, I'd suggest 8 inches of lift with 36's...good luck bro! :beer

P.S. when I do my SAS on the other rig, I won't need a lift, but I plan on using their springs, leaves, and shocks...

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Blaze said:
P.S. when I do my SAS on the other rig, I won't need a lift, but I plan on using their springs, leaves, and shocks...
there are much better companies to spend your money on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm running a 6" Skyjacker and a 2" body lift with 39.5x18 Boggers on 14" wide wheels. The bumper needed to be moved ahead dramiticly or else trimmed, and the lower rear of the front fender had to be trimmed about 2 inches toward the door. Last Saturday was my first time wheeling the 39.5's and and i broke one rear lift block in half and sheared the center pin off of the other one. I believe that I have full 6" spring packs with 2" aluminum blocks, which i now replaced with 1" blocks. I definately think that the tires are too much for the TTB and an 8.8. If the front was even a dana 44 SAS and the back was a full floater i would wheel the piss out of it. :rockon

heres a pic

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
LargeCar said:
If the front was even a dana 44 SAS and the back was a full floater i would wheel the piss out of it.
you'd just be breaking a straight 44 instead of an IFS 44. its barely stronger than a TTB. same bearings, R & P, shafts, and comparable knuckles. you'd need a 60.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Andy351 said:
you'd just be breaking a straight 44 instead of an IFS 44. its barely stronger than a TTB. same bearings, R & P, shafts, and comparable knuckles. you'd need a 60.
Yea it would be nice to have a 60 and a 10.25, but i was just sayin if the back was a full floater, then you woulndt have to worry about breaking c clips etc. You could carry spare shafts and swap easily on a full floater. And the only thing that i dont like about a TTb 44 is that bending a beam is very popular compared to bending a straight axle. If you break a front axle, drive home and put a new one in. :rockon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts