Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently bought an 85 bronco..... love it so far. but i am wanting to convert a few things.... i have a inline six, w/ 4 speed manuel. i would like to swap in an auto tranny..... and still keep the floor shift. i have also thought about an engine swap..... i have access to a donor engine (302 from an 85 mustang) i was told that all 302's are the same, cars/ trucks?any info would be great !!!! thanks

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
first4wd said:
i have access to a donor engine (302 from an 85 mustang) i was told that all 302's are the same, cars/ trucks?any info would be great !!!! thanks
While a 302 car and truck engine share the same cubic inches and exterior bolt holes, that does not necessarially mean they are the same. A good 4wd truck engine needs low end torque. Mustangs want high end horse power.

A Mustang block can be made truck friendly and there are numerous posts on the forum about it. If you're going to rebuild it yourself, then you have a lot of options in that area.

But like David said, whichever set up you opt for, get a matching engine and tranny. You'll save yourself $'s and headaches in the long run. I rebuilt and installed a 302 HO out of a 93 Mustang in my 88 and I like it a lot, but if I was doing it all over again, I'd go with a 351 swap. :thumbup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info..... but how common was a floor shift? with either of those motors? will i need to go to a column shift? would that be better? would i be better off looking for a donor truck with both..... or going to a rebuild shop?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
The transmisions are the same (column or floor) it's just a matter of linkage. Like andy said just pick up a hurst, or B&M shifter....:shrug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts