Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've seen a few times on this forum, I have a serious problem with my fuel gauge being ALL over the place when I get close to empty. As I am sure many others have this problem, I am just wondering if anyone happens to know if even though the needle is all over the place, does the low fuel light still come on when gas is low??? Also wondering if anyone has found a good way to finally fix this problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What you see with the guage going all over the place seems to be "normal". My sender died and I replaced it. The new one lasted until the winter and does the same as yours does, especially when it gets down to about a quarter of a tank. I believe the actual cause to be a bad contact in the sender unit.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
esoteric781 said:
As I've seen a few times on this forum, I have a serious problem with my fuel gauge being ALL over the place when I get close to empty.
define all over the place. when the gas gets low i believe it can splash around making the needle bounce a little bit. correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
383 Posts
bet ya the portion of the resistor element where "almost empty" section is probably worn out. You see, the actual measuring unit, consists of a small arc of resistive material, where the floater metal end makes contact (the part of the resistor being contacted will depend on fuel level)

so they turn to wear off in the spot for the average fuel level.

If you of Prevous owner liked to drive around with needle almost pointing to "E", there will be a flat spot over some long time...

as soon as the fuel level doesn't fall in this swet spot, needle should work ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts