Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 3G installed everything seems ok. My battery on my ohm
meter died so I wasn't able to check my output on my volts and amps
after I finished. I was able to run all my accessories without the battery so I know that its charging. My question is I noticed the 3G 200 amp is hot to
touch is that normal? Thanks.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,888 Posts
Like really hot or just as warm as the rest of the engine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say fairly hot. My 3G also has a powder coated case if that makes a differance. I've never noticed an alternator being hot but there's a huge differance in output from a 1G to a 3G so I thought I'd ask. The wire's are oK no heat there also I changed the charge wire to 4 gage, and ran a 175 amp megafuse.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
they will get warm, they will burn you if they are working hard to recharge a battery.

but a powder coated case is a BAD idea on high output alts, because they retain heat, and cause premature failure. :cry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks Fireguy50 at least now I have a little more peace of mind. I never realized how hot an alternator actually can be, I was checking my wires to make sure they were ok ( not even warm) ended up feeling around the alternator . I appreciate all the info you provided for this upgrade. As far as the powder coat I dind't expect it I found a new 3G 200 amp for $180 someone had ordered it for a mustang and didnt pick it up so I grabbed it it was red kinda matched my msd components so I thought that was a plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts