Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read somewhere on Race Rings? I know I'm going to repack the bearings, but I need to know what exactly I'll need for the swap I'm doing later this week. I've already got my rotors and calipers in (thanks tax return of $220) and I'm just about to go to Napa or AAP and get the rest of what I need.

I searched vigerously, but on dialup and hundreds of threads, I can't figure out where to start :wacko

And I've searched Steve83's Brake And Hub album, I'm in the middle of it now, again I'm on dialup and it takes ages to get through 80 pictures :shocked

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Why do you want new calipers?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because..?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
85f150 said:
so waht are you trying to accomplish, i searched for race rings and didn't see anything?
ditto.

What is the planned project here? You could be just pulling hubs and replacing with all new internals, or assembling brake outer parts for an SAS down the road?????:popc1:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Bearing races? You don't need those unless you plan to replace the bearings which you don't need to do unless there is something wrong with the ones you have.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Gotta tell us what you're trying to do before we can answer your question.

Also, if you're changing calipers, get a hardware kit for them.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
I've read somewhere on Race Rings? I know I'm going to repack the bearings, but I need to know what exactly I'll need for the swap I'm doing later this week. I've already got my rotors and calipers in (thanks tax return of $220) and I'm just about to go to Napa or AAP and get the rest of what I need.

I searched vigerously, but on dialup and hundreds of threads, I can't figure out where to start :wacko

And I've searched Steve83's Brake And Hub album, I'm in the middle of it now, again I'm on dialup and it takes ages to get through 80 pictures :shocked
Spazmatic

Alls you needs is grease and a baking pan and solvent to clean the bearings in before's you repacks em'.

You already have the special socket for removing the hub locking ring right ?

One of these helps, but it ain't necessary by any stretch (sorry, I realize you're 56 k, but a picture saves a 1000 words)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry guys, didn't realize I didn't actually tell you what I was doing.

I'm swapping my calipers and rotors for new ones. I'm not replacing bearings, I'm just repacking them. I just thought I saw someone here say that it was necessary to change the race things, since you're already down there anyway.

Thanks six, Maj and sewiv, but what's the baking pan for?

Edit: Wow, I'm stupid. Completely ignored the fact that you said "solvent to clean them in"

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
Sorry guys, didn't realize I didn't actually tell you what I was doing.

I'm swapping my calipers and rotors for new ones. I'm not replacing bearings, I'm just repacking them. I just thought I saw someone here say that it was necessary to change the race things, since you're already down there anyway.

Thanks six, Maj and sewiv, but what's the baking pan for?

Edit: Wow, I'm stupid. Completely ignored the fact that you said "solvent to clean them in"
To soak the wheel bearings in and pi$$ off the wife

I may have mentioned the inner spindle bearings to you earlier. They have a tendency to seize up as they are rarely greased as you need to go further in that just the wheel bearings to get at them.

Maybe that's what you were thinking.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe.

I'm getting the grease and pads tommorow. I'll be on the look-out for that repacking funnel-looking thing.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Sixlitre said:
To soak the wheel bearings in and pi$$ off the wife

I may have mentioned the inner spindle bearings to you earlier. They have a tendency to seize up as they are rarely greased as you need to go further in that just the wheel bearings to get at them.

Maybe that's what you were thinking.

Sixlitre
coffee can. several other smaller round items come to mind. I usually cut the tops off of em...even milk jug. doesn't take much cleaner to leave them in. not sure how you would use a baking pan, cept to piss the wife off.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
Maybe.

I'm getting the grease and pads tommorow. I'll be on the look-out for that repacking funnel-looking thing.
Man Spazmatic

are the quote hounds ever gonna have a field day with those lines !

You poor devil !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Juice, you found me out ! hee hee

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, I guess you're right!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
you dont need to soak them...a little gasoline cleans them right up w/out effort...jsut let them air dry them check with a lighter to make sure there clean...
it may not be necessary to do calipers...but with 200+ miles on the truck they are probably needed if never replaced before...

also go to the tech section and search for my brakes write -up...it will show you everything you need
NAPA sells the bearing packers

dc

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I'd just like to re-iterate, replace the brake hardware while you're replacing the calipers. Slide pins (if any), anti-rattle clips (if any), and so on. Any reasonable shop should have a kit (Probably Carlson, in the orange and white box.)

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
ahhh, race rings makes sense now. BTW you don't replace them unless you buy new bearings as the are wore to the bearings. You only need to replace your bearings/races if the bearings have score marks on the rollers. You might want to buy new whel studs since you will have to seperate the rotor from the hub, unless you bought a new hub too.

I would also do the spindle bearings like Six mentioned above. Both of mine were disintegrated and i ended up having to but another axleshaft.

It is just removing the 6 IIRC nuts that hold it on then seperating it from the knuckle. Which you want a big rubber mallet or leather one, as the are rusted together well. Then remove old bearing and install new one and rubber seal. Then clean and put alot of antiseize where it mounts up on the knuckle and you're done.

BTW just to help you in your serach, they are called spindle bearing KITS. On the brake hardware, check your pads as they should come with new anti rattle clips. Your slide pin is the one that holds the caliper on the knuckle. I know 87-91 had the triangular shaped one with rubber in the mid....

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I just got around to pulling my first wheel off, got the rotor off no problem, but Im now working on getting the hub off the rotor.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
Well I just got around to pulling my first wheel off, got the rotor off no problem, but Im now working on getting the hub off the rotor.

Thanks for the help.
Hit it harder!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts