Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there suck a thing as a quick release kit for the rear top of my 86 bronco???. or is it just simply unbolting 30 or 40 bolts,. ive never done this job & just had a look , do i have to take off a lot of interior trimming to undo the bolts. How long from start to finish would anyone know how long it takes to pull one off. ?? since i cant get a soft top in australia, could it be done on a saturday morning & put back on on a sunday arvo, or is it too much of a job to do that a lot.???

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I took all the bolts out and lifted mine up in about 6-8 minutes. I don't have the interior trim, but it can't take that much longer I don't think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can get the top off with trim and up on the rack in about 15 minutes.

Power tools help.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
its more like 15-20 bolts, not 40

I can have the hard top off in 10 minutes and put it on in 25

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
u need a t40 tamper proof torx bit for the bolts. 14 IIRC. and a t50 for the seat belts

took me like 3hrs to find a place that carried those torx bits

i take my top off all the time, sometimes i put it back on that day. just grab a friend to help

·
Registered
75 Posts
u need a t40 tamper proof torx bit for the bolts. 14 IIRC. and a t50 for the seat belts

i take my top off all the time, sometimes i put it back on that day. just grab a friend to help
He has an 86, no shoulder harness seat belts.

Shouldn't need any "torx" bits.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I only put 6 of the bolts in mine and I replaced them with hex bolts not tamper proof torx heads

·
Registered
117 Posts

Should only need an 8mm socket for the top and a #2 phillips head screwdriver for the trim on an 86, at least that is what my 86 has.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does that mean the rubber comes off & stays with the roof, or is it a separate piece. im worried that if its never been taken off, will the rubber seal fall apart in my hands. are they a thick ass rubber that i dont need to worry about

Remember in order to get that bolt really tight--------STRIP IT...., THEN BACK IT OFF 2 TURNS....

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
excellent, ill go chasin Kangaroo's with the top off this weekend....
that sounds awesome...

Does that mean the rubber comes off & stays with the roof, or is it a separate piece. im worried that if its never been taken off, will the rubber seal fall apart in my hands. are they a thick ass rubber that i dont need to worry about
they are thick, you dont have to worry about it falling apart. You take it off with the top

1 - 17 of 17 Posts