Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
I build beautiful things. And they pay me for it
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the trigger on new wheel and tires. Think the big ko2 at looks good, i want QUEIT tires. Any advice?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,063 Posts
BFG all terrains are pretty quiet and great in everything but mud. Last forever too.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,493 Posts
Quiet is subjective, really depends on who you talk to..On one end of the spectrum you have the superswamper boggers, they're loud as hell, then on the other end you have an AT like the BFG..Noise wise, my 37 inch Toyo MT's fall somewhere in the middle and are pretty quiet (at least in my opinion) for a mud tire. It also boils down to what you're going to use you're rig for, if it's primarily pavement and light trails AT's are fine but if you're planning on doing any kind of offroading, I'd step up to a mud tire..That's just my .02.

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,435 Posts
Your emphasis on quiet indicates you rarely do off-roady stuff. If you aren't concerned about rock or mud traction, go with something with a tight tread pattern, like a Pirelli Scorpions or Bridgestones. If you go offroad, you need tires with more gaps in the tread, which will always be noisier( depending on design and compound, of course).

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I hear you on the quiet. I just put these 35" inch Mud terrains on the rear of my stock Bronco. And that is my vinyl floor covering on the left. So bear metal and mud terrains make some noise ….. but that is what the stereo is for …. turn it up and ride on.

My 31 BFG all terrains (on the front) make absolutely no noise. As far as the all terrains lasting forever …. I bought all 4 used 3 years ago …. and have just about wore them out. They had 65% tread when I bought them .. and a local tire shop refused to mount them. After a few years they claimed it was unsafe to mount … I took them to a cheezy shop and had them mounted for 75 bucks. 3 years and 25,000 miles later and they still keep going strong.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
555 Posts
I had a set of Kanati Mud hogs on my range rover. They impressed me in just about every way. They look aggressive, they were very quiet on the highway, and they have excellent mud traction. They would even pull through sawdust soup until the diffs were buried! The best part is they are relatively cheap. Mine were 33x12.50x18 and all said and done cost me about $650. I will be putting them on my 82 when these Hankooks are done.

No affiliation with the link and don't know anything about the seller, just right size,right tire.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
555 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
BFG A/Ts are pretty quiet. Surprisingly, Goodyear DuraTracs are also fairly quiet despite being more aggressive tread.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
36 Posts
I roll K02's 35" they are very quiet, handle amazing in the snow, do very well on hunting trails with mud and rock as well at Sand Lake with the tired aired down!!!

IMO opinion the K02's are terrific and a great all-around tire for real-world use, also IMO opinion if you are worried about tire noise you dont have loud enough exhaust...LOL

·
Registered
I build beautiful things. And they pay me for it
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the replies. Im sold on the bfgs, white letters out. I've been building this truck for 4 years, body first. More to come

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
130 Posts
I'm pulling the trigger on new wheel and tires. Think the big ko2 at looks good, i want QUEIT tires. Any advice?
Those tires are perfect if you spend most of your time on road as they are quiet. Also you wont have any issues in snow at all. And off-road as well. Its an all terrain tire. They used it in the baja 1000 so im pretty sure its good😂 stay stay away from any tire with big treads on it. Its going to be loud as shit. You dont want that. You want something that can get you where you wanna go. KO2 is the way to go.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
35 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the nitto terra grapplers. I've been running them on all my trucks since high school for the most part. They seem to last longer and work better offroad than the BFGs in my opinion and they are nice to drive down the highway noise wise. However they don't make them for 15 inch wheels so you would have to go up in wheel size to get them.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,063 Posts
I can second the good grip and mild noise of the TerraGrappler. Keep in mind they make them in both LT (light truck) and P (passenger car) sizes. LT are a stronger tire and will last longer under the bronco.

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
19 Posts
I've always ran BFG AT's, 35" on my trucks because they are so queit and last forever. I now have the KO2's which are an improvement over the predecessor. My new Bronco came with the mud terrains and they are much louder. I've never ran any other tire so I can't comment about the others. I do agree with the above post, the BFG AT's suck in the mud. After the picture below....I was towed out and got to put in a whole new ring and pinion in the front.Below is an article for a comparison. A lot of my friends run the Terra Grapplers.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,324 Posts
Quote function isn't working for me but I'm throwing in with the @weasel-like animal on this one. imo, the GYW DuraTrac is the sweet spot between the AT and MT tires. Not bad on the highway (which I do plenty of) and outstanding on the trails through the mud and snow. Siped and stud-ready, I've been very satisfied with them. They're holding up very well for me too... but I do swap out and rotate my own each season (stud vs. non). I replaced the KO2's that came on my '95 and can say they are quieter and have provided as good or better traction for my variable conditions for the last 5+ yrs.

·
Addicted to Junk
14,063 Posts
I've always ran BFG AT's, 35" on my trucks because they are so queit and last forever. I now have the KO2's which are an improvement over the predecessor. My new Bronco came with the mud terrains and they are much louder. I've never ran any other tire so I can't comment about the others. I do agree with the above post, the BFG AT's suck in the mud. After the picture below....I was towed out and got to put in a whole new ring and pinion in the front.Below is an article for a comparison. A lot of my friends run the Terra Grapplers.

View attachment 175295
Perfect pic of a BFG AT in "mud".

Just soft normal ground gums em up bad and they dont self clean worth a damn. My old 31" Michelin LTX tires cleaned out better! The terragrapplers are a bit better, but not a mud terrain by any means. This is a mix of 30 years of cow and horse crap and leaves. Not quite as wet as the above. This didnt require any assistance to get out.

All we have here is mud. If I dont have swampers on, its firestone destination MT2s. Even my econoline has swampers...

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put new rims and tires on my 96 and I went with an American racing 16 inch rim wrapped in a 35 inch toyo open country ATIII tire and I'm pretty happy with it. Not too bad on noise at highway speeds and comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L E40D push button shift with manual hubs should be auto hubs has 148.000 miles
12 Posts
I have 33"X 11.50 X 15" on my 96 Eddie Bauer they are extremely quiet and work extremely well in mud clay sand rock gravel and yes wet clay which is very slippery.
My buddy lives on a cattle ranch his driveway consists of sand clay some gravel to leave his house you have to go uphill and to say how good these tires are I went uphill after a rain storm I thought I was in 4 low but when I looked the hubs I actually unlocked them and went uphill in two wheel low and didn't get stuck started going sideways but made it out with little difficulty B.F.G.s rule my buddy is sold on them after seeing what mine have done just on his driveway and how long they last mine are 3 years old and still look like new great tires for the money and yes they are the KO2s I paid $250 each for mine at discount tire company

1 - 20 of 22 Posts