Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been searching exhaust threads and have only found info on how no one likes 18 year olds + noise :D :D :D but I haven't found any info on how to make the truck quiet. A few have boasted about waking up everyone in camp sites when they start up the truck...well I don't want to do that. Its kinda hard to sneak out of a girl's neighborhood when its 2 or 3 am and I have to start up the truck :cool: :cool: :cool: :goodfinge ...not to mention she lives on a hill....

I have a flowmaster on my 96 now( i think its a 40 but Im not sure...will look for recipt in my glovebox later)with my K&N and I really like the sound. My friends have been trying to talk me into getting new headers. They say that I will need the power to move my tires when I get my lift put on

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7049

YAY!

But I don't want to be obnoxious with my sound...to other people...but me too. I take 6-8 hour road trips frequently and a loud setup would get old real quick.

I was just wondering if there were any components that don't let up on performance but supress sound. Any info would be nice to know :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Magnaflow. It wont' be as loud as your 40 series, but it makes more power and torque than a slowmaster ever will, except maybe the single chambers...not sure...that's not just opinion or ADT (azz dyno test) it's been proved on the dyno. As with a glasspack, the longer the muffler you get the quieter it is, the shorter the louder.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My gibson cat back sounds good but not obnoxious. Not much louder than stock. I may have been imagining things but I also saw a noticable power increase.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i hear the gibsons are pretty quiet when compared to the power increase you get. i have a 40 series delta flowmaster and it is pretty loud, especially when you get on it, but it's ok at idle. the delta flow technology gives you the same performance benefits of a 2 or 3 chamber without as much sound, especially when you're not on the gas. i would try the 50 series delta, i'm sure it would be pretty mellow.

:thumbup yay for not obnoxious people:thumbup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
King Andy351 said:
:thumbup yay for not obnoxious people:thumbup
:thumbup I feel realllllly guilty when other people are bothered by me...such as...I always turn my bass down at red lights. =)

I went to flowmaster's page and you guys were right about the 50 series being less obtrusive in sound. The 40 (which i have on now) is rated at deep sounding inside and powerful outside...where as the 50 is mellow inside and deep outside. Might consider swaping it out when I get around to putting a new cat on the truck.

And its good to know that magnaflow and gibson have good impressions on you guys. My buddy had my mind set on getting a magnaflow, but the muffler guy that we all go to talked me into getting the flowmaster. He said it would give the best performance for the bronc.

So I asked my bro about putting a cut-out on(he has one on his firebird), since I saw the thread about them and he said that for sound wise, that I should have left the muffler stock if I wanted the cut-out. That way I could keep it quiet but open it up for extra power (or extra dick-head-ness :D ). So nix that idea. His answer to my sneaking out of neighborhoods in the middle of the night is to park a block down the street. not a bad idea...:cool:

Oh and I also asked if he knew about any headers that kept it quiet but yet brought power and he said no...with power comes the noise. Just wanted to confirm with you guys.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Oh and I also asked if he knew about any headers that kept it quiet but yet brought power and he said no...with power comes the noise.
My brother put some Dynomax headers on his truck not too long ago. He had it hooked up to the exhaust he already had on there and it made the truck quieter, actually. If it is any louder it's not too noticeable at all. Maybe it's just quieter when cold....idk...but it's not as loud as it used to be, which confused the he11 out of the three of us...my dad, brother and myself.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Dunno, don't drive it enough to get the feel of it. He also put the original heads to the motor on it. Factory rating for the motor is over 300 for power and torque, I believe. Although, with the old heads and manifolds if you just hit the gas you start movin...quick. He put the heads and headers on, when you hit the gas you light up one of the rear tires :histerica

·
1,407 Posts
get a gibson. noticable power and quiet. I have the 3" on one truck and the supertruck on the other. supertruck is loud, but not obnoxious like flows, the 3" is just alittle louser than stock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run the JBA shorty headers and Gibson cat-back with very noticeable power increase but not much louder than stock. I too take frequent long road trips and don't think my setup is loud, nor does it give me that 'exhaust drone' headache.

Good Luck!

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Domin4nt said:
:thumbup I feel realllllly guilty when other people are bothered by me...such as...I always turn my bass down at red lights. =)
dude, you can be my neighbor anyday. how old are you? thanks for acting like a real adult:thumbup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hehe thx. Im 19 bro. As a rule i try not to do things to others that I don't like myself. Works well for me :thumbup

UNDRH2O, ur setup sounds sweet. :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Domin4nt, if you want to hear a factory Bronco with a Gibson cat back I have one on my truck and am in your neck of the woods. Also, I have a '68 Cougar with a 302 running Heddman headers and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers..might give you an idea how that setup sounds on a ford small block..though the cheap heddmans have a leak on the flange that I have yet to fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts