Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some trouble with my exhaust rotting approx 2-3yrs ago and decided to replace entire system with best I could find (bassani). I have not been happy since. I got the bassani shorty headers, the bassani ypipe + hi flow cat, and the bassani catback. Truck is loud and droans on long drives. Even worse it has not passed a state emissions inspection since. Bassani claims their system to be carb approved, but it does not pass NYS. So now I'm in a bad position.

#1 original factory cat was the california version (they made two in 94 one special for CA emissions), the guy that installed the bassani version cut it up to get it out, so reinstalling is not an option. Had I known then what I know now, I would have cut the cats off the rotted ypipe and had it repaired.

#2 The bassani sounds cool, but it is waaaay louder than what I would like

I would really like to go back to the stock system if possible. I located a original NON California Cat/y-pipe off a junked 94 bronco, does anyone know if this passes NYS emissions easily (on the dyno)? I guess I can leave the bassani headers, no harm in them? How hard is it to reinstall the factory cat? Do you have to remove the mid frame crossmember rail behind the tranny (I think this is the reason they cut the old one out)?

Next, if I wanted to get rid of the bassani cat back and quiet the truck down to stock (or quieter) levels, what do I put on for a muffler? Is the stock muffler still available anywhere or something really close to it? I'm less interested in performance at this point and more interested in making it comfortable for long drives.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17788/

That's the muffler I used on my Bronco. I absolutely love it because it has a nice performancy sound only when I get on it, but other than that, it's nice and quiet, and great for long trips. I can barely hear the exhaust inside the cab. I'm picky about loud exhaust since I don't like it. If it doesn't drone on my 300 I6, I highly doubt it'll drone on a 302 V8.

Here's the California legal catalytic converters Summit offers.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Exhaust/Part-Type/Catalytic-Converters/Year/1994/Make/FORD/Model/BRONCO/Emissions-Legal/50-state/Engine-Size/5-0L-302/?Ns=Rank|Asc

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Sounds to me like your truck may have other issues. A bad cat could cause it to fail, but some people even pass emissions tests without cats (hollowed out with no material anymore), that way they pass visuals. If you post your results from the emissions test, some people might be able to get you on the right track.

However, for your original question...I'd go to your local muffler shop and talk to them about it. Tell them you want it quiet. The original muffler that was on mine was HUGE, like 6-8" is diameter and probably 1.5' long...big muffler. It was quiet, up until the rear of the muffler rusted out...

KC

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok, little secret i learned down here in fl from an old redneck when my 84 bronco ii wouldnt pass our emissions test back when we had them.... add 1 gal of alchohol to 1/4 tank of gas, driive around for 10 mins then go to the inspection station and get her inspected. 9 out of 10 vehicles will pass as long as your not burning oil. run the tank out and fill with premium fuel to get the alchohol out of your lines as if its in there long it will mess up rubber hoses. then you have a year to get her running correctly.
if i'd have known this back then i'd still be driving the old girl instead of trading her in for something that i could get re-registered.

·
Super Moderator
25,800 Posts
yo,
Walker is at least, one of, or the only exhaust system OEM for our Broncos.
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/VehicleDescriptionScreen_49_State.asp
As of January 1, 2009, converters in this catalog can not be sold or installed in California.
49-State (EPA) Converters Look-up
Engines that the converters will fit:
1994 Ford Bronco
Description:
Engine Family Code Position Direct Fit Universal Vehicle Qualifier
8 - 5.0L Front 15022 37

8 - 5.0L Front & Rear 15742 25,37
Replaces Both Front and Rear Converters

8 - 5.0L Rear 15142 37

8 - 5.8L Front 15022 37

8 - 5.8L Front & Rear
15142 25,37
8 - 5.8L Front & Rear 56164 10,100
or 16365 10,100
Federal Emissions; Replaces Both Front and Rear Converters
8 - 5.8L Rear
15042 37

37 Fed. & Calif. Emiss. Models. Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the State of California.
25 Replaces Multiple O.E. Converters. Only Failed Converters May Be Replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.
10 Not Legal For Sale on Vehicles Licensed in the State of California.
100 Ultra Catalytic Converter

-------
Exhaust System Look-up

-
Walker's mufflers, pipes and hangers are exact fit; most avail @ Advance Auto, etc. Select aluminized Muffler, Quiet-Flow 3, 2 1/4 in. Inlet/2 1/4 in. Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, Ford, Bronco, Each @ Summit too;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-22173/
; run quieter and lasts longer than OE mufflers. Made from aluminized steel that delivers exceptional durability. Internal partition baffles and spun-locked heads help improve structural support and features OE-style rods and brackets for precise fit. Walker Quiet-Flow 3 mufflers give you the OEM exhaust sound that you have been looking for.

Walker Dimensions & Depiction; Including Heavy Duty Aluminized Part #22382 for 80-96 Bronco & F Series; INLET ID is 2-1/4", OD is 2-1/2" Same for OUTLET; see Table 3, Style 2-OFFSET TO OFFSET; Overall Length is 30"; Shell Length is 24"; Cross Section is 6"
Source: by walkerheavyduty.com

for SS hardware, I like PCI Inc.
Stainless Steel Universal Muffler Hanger Kit
Stainless Steel Universal Muffler Hanger Kit - Oval
Universal, lifetime Stainless Steel Hanger - rust free
Adjustable J-hooks fit any aplication
Top-lock nuts and bolts (used in airline industry)
Polished Stainless Steel strap for permanent, invisible hanging
Turn your universal inventory into direct fit
Patent Pending
Kit contains: 2 adjustable j-hooks, 1 Stainless Steel Strap, 1 Stainless Arc Plate, 2 bolts & 2 top-lock nuts.
PCI is also an A-1 Source for Bronco Converter & EGR Tubes, A.I.R. System Crossover Tubes & Check Valves

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
One of the mufflers I've heard on a few cars, (Camaro, Vette, BMW's) that sounds GREAT but isn't loud is a B&B Muffler. They have the nice 'tuned' factory sound of the C6 Z06, or the Audi, or BMW V8's

They are pricey though, otherwise I would buy one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you fail on the visual or the Dyno? New Yark State are some arseholes when it comes to emissions. God I remember Suffolk county, MA was just as terrible. Even here in CA it aint so bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
x2 on the test results, so maybe we can see where your failing.

I would say the easiest/cheapest way would just be to find a decent oem muffler from a junkyard/ebay. that is probably the quietest you will get, everything aftermarket is going to be louder in some aspect or another

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I passed visual and safety, I failed on the Dyno, at some specific point on the dyno that it tests at the emissions failed. Almost all 3 values were out, but VERY MARGINALLY, it was close enough they ran it on the dyno 3 times, failed all 3 with consistant results, before the Bassani system, it used to pass with flying colors, I was always more worried about the visual/safety inspection.

I got my hands on an OEM Cat (non california version), now here is the big question, has anybody here ever **REINSTALLED** the factory cat. Everyone I speak to says "yeah I removed tons of em, you have to cut it out because the frame is in the way, and take it out in pieces". There is some truth to this as there is a mid frame rail supporting the tranny right at the exit of the 2nd cat. Has anyone wiggled this thing back in ever without removing that frame rail??

Once I saw the size of the OEM pipe, I thought to myself, there is no way anything aftermarket can match this for quiet.

Dabranco I may just take you up on that :).

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the answer to the last question, the hard way as usual... Yes it is possible to reinstall the factory cat in one piece, no it was not really easy. There is a very tight clearance issue that is created by having to insert the back of the cat into the mid frame crossmember near tranny, and the cat ends up at a steep angle due to the smog air pump tube, and it causes the main (2nd) cat to hit the body floor or the frame rail. There are a few possible solutions, one would be to remove the mid frame crossmember (or just loosen it and slide it back), another would be to remove the smog air pump tube from the first cat, but this looks like asking for trouble on something 15yrs old. The way I did it was jack up the body approx 2" to create enough clearance for the cat to slide in on a steep angle, once it was past the frame crossmember, it leveled right out and slid into place. It looks like its going to be a bit of a pain to connect the smog air tube (its behind the plenum), but thats for tomorrow. Almost 4 hours later I got it bolted up and seems to be ok so far. I also found someone to make me the special 2.25" ID to 3" OD adapter I need to connect the factory cat to the current 3" Bassani (until I figure out a quieter solution) catback. Will finish the exhaust plumbing tomorrow. Also have to weld a crack in the bassani muffler (-1 for a top end system that is only 3yrs old).
Thanks

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
I just use a Flowmaster 50 series. I put it on when I asked the advise of the muffler shop I used to do business with through Ford. I told him I had a new born baby girl & wanted my Bronco to sound rugged when I got on it but zero sound with the windows up or cruising normal with them down. It'll be 7 years in August on Ashley's birthday & it still sounds great when I want it to, & I can hear my stereo without listening to my exhaust...! -Kevin- :thumbup

·
Registered
408 Posts
If i were you I would keep the bassani headers and y-pipe, replace the bassani cat with a single cat by magnaflow or walker that is rated for a motor bigger than yours, then go to the local exhaust shop, and have them find a 3" factory replacement muffler, then run the cheap 3" tailpipe, or you might even be able to re-use the bassani tailpipe.

As far as locating a factory replacement muffler that is 3", tell them to look in the walker catalog for replacements that go on newer pickups, such as newer dodges or chevys. Some of the factory dodge exhaust's that i've seen have 3" pipes on them and from what I understand, some late 90's factory chevy's had single 3" exhausts from the factory.

The factory style muffler will be plenty quiet, and being 3" will still flow plenty well. You'll get the best of both worlds! Free flowing, efficient exhaust that is still quiet.

The replacement of the cat will solve the emissions problem as long as you don't have some other problem with the truck.

·
Super Moderator
25,800 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here is what I did so far, removed the bassani ypipe & Cat. Left the bassani shorty headers. Installed the factory cat setup (yes I know about the aluminium washers to make non bassani stuff fit bassani flanges), made an adapter to get the factory cat exit up to 3" Pipe. TIG'd the crack in the bassani muffler (I wonder if this is why it was so loud?). Just for curiousity I reinstalled the muffler. It is notably quieter, nowhere near stock, but a lot better, I think I will still replace the muffler, but I like the bassani pipe and exit tip (like 4" looks like a diesel pipe), will probably leave that. Will be several months before it goes on the rollers again, but hopefully this cat will solve it. Now I'm undecided about the muffler, I think I would like something close to stock noise levels, but may leave this one on till it rots.

Now I just started it up since I did so much stuff (oil pan, oil pump, cat/exhaust), no oil leaks, no exhaust leaks, but after running for approx 1min I get a check engine light, I'll scan it today and see whats up, the only thing I can think of is the O2 sensor in the "factory cat" I got is old and no good, I'll pull the one from the bassani if thats all it is, if not I probably knocked a vacuum line off somewhere when I was reaching and working blind behind the plenum to connect the thermactor pump to the factory cat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know the difference between an Magnaflow 34307 and a 34016? I see the 34307 is OBDII compliant, but for $200 more I want to know if the catalyst efficency is higher? If this thing still fails with a 15yr old factory cat, I'll keep my bassani y-pipe and try the magnaflow california cat. From what I understand our (new york) testing standards are higher than california's, we just don't have to worry about visual/CARB certifications, as long as it passes on the dyno they don't care whats under the hood.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I passed visual and safety, I failed on the Dyno, at some specific point on the dyno that it tests at the emissions failed. Almost all 3 values were out, but VERY MARGINALLY, it was close enough they ran it on the dyno 3 times, failed all 3 with consistant results, before the Bassani system, it used to pass with flying colors, I was always more worried about the visual/safety inspection.

I got my hands on an OEM Cat (non california version), now here is the big question, has anybody here ever **REINSTALLED** the factory cat. Everyone I speak to says "yeah I removed tons of em, you have to cut it out because the frame is in the way, and take it out in pieces". There is some truth to this as there is a mid frame rail supporting the tranny right at the exit of the 2nd cat. Has anyone wiggled this thing back in ever without removing that frame rail??

Once I saw the size of the OEM pipe, I thought to myself, there is no way anything aftermarket can match this for quiet.

Dabranco I may just take you up on that :).

Thanks
Yes, I just removed both cats from my EB without dropping the midrail. You need to remove the u-bolt at the muffler. Remove the exhaust bolts. If you do not have a lift you will need to lift the front end to pull the pipe out. Took about 15 minutes to remove the y-pipe with the 2 cats attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
magnaflows--quite, until you stand on it, then you have a little tuned sound, not very loud though, cant hear it while cruising, only the roar of some tires!

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
One of the mufflers I've heard on a few cars, (Camaro, Vette, BMW's) that sounds GREAT but isn't loud is a B&B Muffler. They have the nice 'tuned' factory sound of the C6 Z06, or the Audi, or BMW V8's

They are pricey though, otherwise I would buy one.
MMMMMM I agree Billy Boat Exhausts are BADASS, would love to just get a muffler from them for my setup.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts