Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 4x4 Eddie Bauer 5.8L 351
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first older vehicle I’ve ever owned, just curious, should my radiator fan be constantly running? It seems to me that maybe that’s not suppose to be happening? Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
what type? factory , flex, electric?

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
447 Posts
This is the first older vehicle I’ve ever owned, just curious, should my radiator fan be constantly running? It seems to me that maybe that’s not suppose to be happening? Thanks for the help in advance!
The electric, plastic, fans in today's modern cars operate differently than the mechanical ones in the Bronco. The metal fan will always spin with the engine running. However, most of the time it is just "free spinning". If you stick a rolled up newspaper in the fan, on start up, it should stop/slow down. Once the engine gets up to operating temperature the fan clutch locks up the fan and it actually does its job to cool down the engine. Once the temp is under control the fan clutch releases and you're back to free spin.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo,
"Fan clutch noise can sometimes be noticed when clutch is engaged for maximum cooling. Clutch noise is also noticeable within the first few minutes after starting engine while clutch is redistributing the silicone fluid back to its normal, disengaged operating condition after settling for long periods of time (over night). However, continuous fan noise or an excessive roar indicates the clutch assembly is locked-up due to internal failure. This condition can be checked by attempting to manually rotate fan. If fan cannot be rotated manually or there is a rough, abrasive feel as fan is rotated, the clutch should be replaced.

Accelerate engine to 2700 to 3000 rpm, ... The fan rpm will drop to a reduced noise level where it was before the cycle began which indicates that the fan clutch has disengaged...

If the fan clutch remains engaged and the coolant temperature has dropped below the thermostat opening temperature for at least five minutes, the fan clutch should be replaced. Refer to the Dealer Master Parts Catalog for correct parts usage..."
By Ford

If the fan clutch remains engaged and the coolant temperature has dropped below the thermostat opening temperature for at least five minutes, the fan clutch should be replaced."

·
Registered
573 Posts
A generic off the shelf elec controlled fan should have some sort of 'trim pot' that allows for the on position to occur at various temperatures? starting at maybe 160 up to 212 ??
Or, if you read the manual or call tech support determine the precise temp the fan goes on
Then take another measurement too and see if you are that hot?

.....Or are you asking if the OEM belt driven fan should always be turning?

·
Registered
91 4x4 Eddie Bauer 5.8L 351
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the info. It’s the factory radiator fan. After all of the useful info from you guys it seems the clutch needs to be replaced. I really appreciate the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.