Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '94 Bronco needs a radiator (leaks). Has anyone ever done this job? How ugly is it? A day? A weekend? A week?? I'm no mechanic, but I'm a pretty fair parts changer. Just trying to figure out if the money I'd save is worth the time I'd spend. Anything in particular to watch out for if I do the job myself? If I pay to have it done, what do you think is a reasonable price? I'd really appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
dude, a basic socket set and like 2 hours if you are totally lost, 30 min if you know what your doing, its like all of 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps

·
Super Moderator
29,437 Posts
shop locally 1st

yo daddy!

We did our 96 almost 2 years ago w/a Transpro 4 row ALL METAL rad.

They even have their Installation Instructions on line.

Dealer cost would have been $380.00 +T&T for the OEM Visteon plastic tank model pos.
Got it from local auto shop for $230. incl T&T
So, for you, Radiator Express is a ok and has the same model ask em if it is a Transpro or Modine; both are good)
1994 5.0 Radiator, 4 row
But, shop locally 1st to get a better price, if poss.
Time to do hoses and T'stat as well!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I'm with them. Do it yourself and check around. I got mine at advance for about $180 with a lifetime warranty and upgraded from the wimpy single core to a 3 core which was definitely necessary since I lived in Norfolk Va at the time. I have a 302 and the guys at the parts store said that there was no listing for a 3 core and a 302 but there was for the 351. But the single core was the same part number for the 302 and the 351......... Duh! I had to spell it out for him. It's easy dude, go to town.

·
Registered
519 Posts
$230. incl T&T for a 4 core is awsome, I freakin looked everywhere for a good 4 core at a reasonable price had to settle for refurb OEM @ radiatorbarn.com 126$ on my doorstep, still a good deal but damn I wish I had the 4 core :banghead

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! This is all good news. I will order my parts, take a day off work, and go to town. I used to do alot of my own work when I was younger (I worked at a motorcycle dealership, and I always had access to a nice shop and some real mechanics, in case I got into trouble), but then I got old and had kids and now free time is scarce. But you all have inspired me and I feel good about this. Thanks again.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
miesk5 said:
yo daddy!

We did our 96 almost 2 years ago w/a Transpro 4 row ALL METAL rad.

They even have their Installation Instructions on line.

Dealer cost would have been $380.00 +T&T for the OEM Visteon plastic tank model pos.
Got it from local auto shop for $230. incl T&T
So, for you, Radiator Express is a ok and has the same model ask em if it is a Transpro or Modine; both are good)
1994 5.0 Radiator, 4 row
But, shop locally 1st to get a better price, if poss.
Time to do hoses and T'stat as well!
I would say Miesk5 is right on, as I did the same thing, copper/brass 4 core, for less than $200, dealer told me about $400 for the alum./plastic replacement.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was looking at purchasing the transpro radiator 436009 but it does not say if it works with A/C, auto tranny and so on. I am not sure what other info I need to know. Found a great price on it though, about 215 shipped. Thanks for the help.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Spade said:
I know this is an old thread but I was looking at purchasing the transpro radiator 436009 but it does not say if it works with A/C, auto tranny and so on. I am not sure what other info I need to know. Found a great price on it though, about 215 shipped. Thanks for the help.
I believe this is the radiator I purchased, and yes, it works with AC or not, auto tranny. Fits right in as a direct replacement, fan shroud and all.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Even with the 190* T-stat

All my Broncos take forever to warm up, I just replaced the rad in my 95 w/ a two row El Cheepo for $142 delivered and w/lifetime warranty(big friggen woop), and its still the same takes a while to warm up. All my Broncos have coolant temp gauges, and I NEVER EVER seen one of them go up to the mid way point, even in Summer stuck INSIDE the Lincoln Tunnel with a ambient temp of around 100*F, with the AC blowing cubes :clap .....they ALL hoover around 1/3 of the way up......and thats fine with me Daddy-O:thumbup

·
Butt-Plug
900 Posts
Daddy O. said:
My '94 Bronco needs a radiator (leaks). Has anyone ever done this job? How ugly is it? A day? A weekend? A week?? I'm no mechanic, but I'm a pretty fair parts changer. Just trying to figure out if the money I'd save is worth the time I'd spend. Anything in particular to watch out for if I do the job myself? If I pay to have it done, what do you think is a reasonable price? I'd really appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks in advance.
I did mine in less than an hour, went from a small block radiator to a big block radiator, the hardest part was,,,,,, come to think of it, there wasn't one.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
sry, browser probs.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
ditto... :banghead

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
A good set of line wrenches is a godsend if you have any corrosion/rust or anything on the old tranny coolant lines... you don't want to strip them. Otherwise (and including actually), it is a simple job. 1 hour tops.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Easy install but a little food for thought,a few months ago I pulled in the driveway and noticed that my temp guage was all the way on hot so I opened the hood and right then the right side of the rad. blew up! Mine had those plastic end caps and it couldnt hold the pressure. I had installed one of those chrome half moon fan shrouds for looks but they dont do SH#T for cooling so I installed an electric fan and a flex fan from Summit Racing and this solved the cooling problem. I installed a relay to operate the electric fan when the A/C is on but I didnt notice that I had blown the inline fuse for the electric fan and it was running hot. I always watch my guage now when the A/C is on. I can run all day without the A/C on but I live in S.W.Florida and I have to have good cooling with it on. Unfortunatly I lost the receipt from Advance Auto or they would have replced it for free. I am on my 5th starter and 3rd alt. in 9 years and they always swap out for free. My reciepts are from when they were Western Auto and they will still honor them.

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
buying new radiator

I am looking at this rad: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHT0/433561.oap?keyword=radiator&pt=01386&ppt=C0331 to replace my XLT's.

$139
Murray - Radiator
Part Number: 433561
Line: MHT

* UPC: 40876435612
* With Heavy Duty Cooling
* With Max Cooling

Warranty Info

Limited Lifetime Warranty
Detailed Description

* Core Size: 27 1/2 x 19 5/8 x 2
* Construction Material: Copper Brass