Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about swapping to a 351 but I am wondering is the 302's radiator big enough for a 351? Or are they the same size and no need to worry about it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats kinda what I was thinking but wasnt exactly sure. Hoping to do a build as cheap as possible but reliable and not have any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
There are different "sizes" based on the truck package. For example, a 302 xl will have a 2 row radiator (I think). If there is a tow package, its a 3 row (I think). Living in AZ, if your radiator is the thin stock XL radiator, you can probly use it through the winter but keep save some money, keep a real close eye on it come summer time and be ready to replace it. It would benefit you either way to get yourself a numeric temp gauge so you can tell what temp you are actually running...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep planned on getting a actual temp gauge when/if i do the swap. My gauge in the dash now, sucks. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt lol. Gonna build it over several months cheaply but with good parts.

The plan on the 351 is to find a decent block due a .030 over on it Gt40 heads havent figured out a cam or intake yet. Not going extreme just a little more power. Do a serp belt setup and keep it carbed for now. The Bco will just be a occasional daily driver but mostly a wheelin and huntin rig. So was kinda hopin to reuse the current radiator.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Shane is correct.
Example is my '96 351 which came with trailer package, A/C, & auto and it has a 2-1/8" core and the replacement cost is quite high (highest of all possibilities). Measure your core and compare. Counting rows is not accurate, but measuring the thickness is.
Summit gives the dimensions of available rads. Get the same info with a Google or a FSB search.
The short answer for the guy is his 5.0 rad will lead to overheating on a hot AZ day or a trip thru the deep sand.
PaulW
===============

There are different "sizes" based on the truck package. For example, a 302 xl will have a 2 row radiator (I think). If there is a tow package, its a 3 row (I think). Living in AZ, if your radiator is the thin stock XL radiator, you can probly use it through the winter but keep save some money, keep a real close eye on it come summer time and be ready to replace it. It would benefit you either way to get yourself a numeric temp gauge so you can tell what temp you are actually running...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts