Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at it again.. still fixing my broken down EB 351 fullsize.. had I lot of problems with it last year. (which never totally got fixed btw)

But my radiator complete busted on me during the winter so I'm doing my best to replace it.. everything is in fine EXCEPT the tranny cooling lines. I've had friends come look and help but none of us can figure out what to do. I can't get the tranny cooling lines to seat into the fittings. Even tried the old fittings from the busted radiator but got same results.

I took some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

http://img69.imageshack.us/i/20100421143210.jpg/
http://img405.imageshack.us/i/20100421143234.jpg/

Any suggestions? I need to crank this beast - hasn't ran in 6 months. (to cold! lol) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
1st Was the rad a new one or you pull it from a Junkyard? asking cause you said your doing your best to replace it.
If it's a new one I would go back to the parts store where ya got it from and make sure they gave you the right rad.
I got a new one today and poped it in. I put in the brass adapters first than put in the fitings from hte lines. I had to push them in and turn at the same time to get them to catch the threads and screw in.

I also put some teflon tape on the brass fitting going into the rad. none on the line fitting going into the brass fitting.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Have you tried threading your trans line fittings directly into the radiator instead of into those brass adapters (assuming thats what those are)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new radiator fittings are correct.. even the fittings from my old one fit the exact same way.. its like the tranny lines are swollen and won't push in far enough to get the threads to grab. in the picture with my hand in it thats me pushing it together and you can easily see how much non-threaded part I have left. -- if I do it without the adapters it'd probably leak because the lines don't stay put.

I've tinkered with the fittings on the lines without them being attached and I just can't seem to figure out how to get them to catch one another to install. Like I said -- same cooling lines -- even same old fittings -- still won't reconnect. I really need to figure this part out so I can get it back to the shop for them to finish the electrical issue I was having last summer. (don't want to tow it if possible)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new radiator fittings are correct.. even the fittings from my old one fit the exact same way.. its like the tranny lines are swollen and won't push in far enough to get the threads to grab. in the picture with my hand in it thats me pushing it together and you can easily see how much non-threaded part I have left. -- if I do it without the adapters it'd probably leak because the lines don't stay put.

I've tinkered with the fittings on the lines without them being attached and I just can't seem to figure out how to get them to catch one another to install. Like I said -- same cooling lines -- even same old fittings -- still won't reconnect. I really need to figure this part out so I can get it back to the shop for them to finish the electrical issue I was having last summer. (don't want to tow it if possible)

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
So the brass adaptes came from the old radiator? Okay, then make sure to slide the threaded part on the trans line all of the way forward on the line, so the trans line is at the very back of the threaded line fitting, the try to get it to thread. Also, the lines tend to put weird angled pressure on the fittings, so you have to make sure you are putting them in their straight and with as little pressure from the lines as possible. Finally, I cant remember for sure, but have you tried reversing direction when turning the line fittings? They may be reverse thread....

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
As long as you're sure the threads aren't boogered, and the fittings are perfectly in line, as Shane C. just mentioned, but they still won't work...

...I'd just start hunting for new fittings, then chop off the factory fittings, slip on the new ones, re-flare the line, put it together, then get cruising.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts