Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of weeks everytime I hit a bump my radio cuts off, thought it was the radio that was installed because you could tap the front (flip down face)and it would shut down or lights on it wouldn't work or i'd get funny hyroglyphs. So I purchased a new radio and got rid of all the wiring mess the PO had in there. Now however, I still get the radio bump shut off whenever I go over a large bump in the road. I thought it was the fuse box or my drivers door having a short, because I used to have to slam the door to get the old radio to work if it shut off. Its a weird shorting issue i'm hoping someone will have had before and can relate a fix. I've been trying to trouble shoot by removing the panels and jiggling wires and banging on the dash and doors but so far nothing is working and it still shuts off for about 2 sec. and comes back on when I hit a bump in the road. When I got the bronc last year I replaced all the hot and grounds on the engine, maybe one has come loose? I'll check them, but am hoping someone might have had a similar issue. Sorry bout the long post, thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It sounds like a bad ground somewhere, an easy way to check that is to get rid of the original ground and create your own behind the radio. Just use a self tapping screw, a wire with a ring on the end of it and the washer with little teeth on it (cant think of what its called off hand) and that should hold tight. Oh and be sure to scrape the area you decide to ground the wire to, itll ensure proper ground. Id try that before going too much further, sometimes after 20 years the wires or their connections just come loose.

Side note: Does your cigarette lighter feel the same effect when you hit bumps??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that when I installed the radio, the area where the old ground was had rust on it...I brushed it all shiney and used a self tapping screw and grounded the radio itself to the area. There is howeve a black (ground) wire on the harness coming off the original plug but it was cut off by the PO and since the bump problem is only about 2 weeks old I don't think that one has any thing to do with it. The bump/cut off problem has only been happening in the last couple of weeks.....thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
is your ground wire loose. What about the power cable coming into the radio, do any of your other elcetronics have this problem?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Another way to test and see what you are looking for it to run a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the ground on the radio. See if this cures it. If so then start at the battery and work your grounds back to the radio. There should be at least a ground to the engine, one to the body frame, and then a few from the frame to the body panels (these look like clips with braided wire between them).

If that does not work, then you can focus on the positive side of the electrical connection. It is a little more complex, but the same theory applies..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that tip....i have some 12 guage wire i'll run from neg term to the radio. I did replace the grounds from the battery to the frame and block, but i'm going to clean up all the clips, i've seen like four or five of them while scooting around underneath. Should I remove the radio ground from the dash and connect it to the radio ground? or would it hurt to just add it to the ground point?
I do have other things that cut out...fan for the a/c ,heater and a couple of other things, i've been just slammin' the door (which seldom works) or waiting to hit a bump to get them working again.
With the recent install of the radio, the radio does come back on with the memory saved which that last one didn't do, I just waited for the next bump. It does sound like a frame or block or some ground..I just got to find them all...the PO had a mess of wires and add-on to wire-wires ect....i'm getting it sorted out, but this one is just erkin' the heck outta me. Thanks again, i'm gonna look at it tommorrow after work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts