Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the suburbs and the town I live in, the radio in my Bronco pics up all the Atlanta radio stations just fine. But I work in Atlanta, so I go there every week day. Atlanta is surrounded by a Interstate bypass (I-285) referred to as "The Perimeter" (AKA the fruit-loop) and wile this is not the official city limits, it considered by most to be the unofficial divider between the city and the suburbs.

My radio reception is fine until I get to the perimeter, then it very suddenly goes strait to crap. But the really weird part is it's not loosing the signal, it is picking up non local stations that are interfering with the local ones.

You would think this would be the opposite of what happens since I am getting closer to the transmitters, but it's not.

It gets weirder.
Drive under a bridge or tunnel and the interference Goes Away! WTF?
Reception is better on a road with buried power lines than one with overhead lines.

Even being in direct line of sight of the transmitters changes reception. Direct line of sight = WORSE reception.

This is the only vehicle I have that does this, it has always done it. No matter what radio I have put in it it still does it. I have the Exact same model radio in my Ranger and Explorer and they do not do that.

The only thread I found about this is this one.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79697&highlight=radio+reception

And wile I have not yet taken Steve's advice and inspected the entire length of the antenna cable, I do not believe it is damaged.

Is the antenna grounded to the body, if so where?
How do I remove the antenna base?
Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

·
4:20 Enthusiast!
3,277 Posts
I had that problem with am or fm stations when I lived around Toronto_Outside the city I could listen to most anything I wanted with a nice clear signal.As soon as I got into the city limits all hell broke loose and I was back to cd.
Thank god for satellite radio but it is rather pricey.I have two FM radio stations I pick up here and I can't stand either.Satellite is the best way to go.

Antenna boosters are grounded but the antenna itself is not.I never did find one that worked very well.They just picked up more interference.:toothless
I find that stock radios seem to get the best reception,never understood why?lol

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I am still having this problem.

It absolutely baffles me why I can pick up FM radio signals from Atlanta radio stations Crystal Clear almost to the Ga/Al line, but not sitting literally directly next to the building the transmitter for the same radio station is mounted on.

And it's all the stations, not just one.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,099 Posts
Gack, do you have the stock antenna or aftermarket? My stubby aftermarket one does nearly the same thing and sucks at getting reception in general. I drove the same route in my other bko and had no issue. Same with my Stang. Both have/had the original antenna.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,099 Posts
Hmm I would say check the whole antenna wire. I know I pulled the little metal end that plugs into the radio off once and it never was the aame again. Other than that I don't have a clue.

Any electrical wizards, feel free to chime in...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts