Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner did a bad job wiring in a new radio, he ran all new wires from the speakers and everything else fairly poorly, but from looking at the speakers it looks like the original wiring is still there, problem is I can't find the plug behind the dash. I want to use and adapter (and why other people don't spend the 20 bucks makes me angry) so I am really hoping I can find the wiring at least and get a junkyard plug and clean it all up. Anyone know the best way to at least track down where it has been cut off if not find the plug?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stock speaker wiring is crappy. your better off using the new wiring. or running new wiring yourself. I always rewire my speakers but I also use an amplifier for my speakers
I do plan to use new speaker wire, I just thought since maybe it was still in the truck everything else was. The current radio is run by getting power from a wire stuck in with a fuse, just not even close to correctly, I am hoping to use the adapter to hook up everything but the speakers. I like to keep things as clean as possible so I am just trying to track down the original radio wires.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
yo S,

87-96 Radio Connectors (except Premium Sound) by Steve83

Radio Connector Pinout for '87-96 trucks. by Steve83

Amp & Harness w Connector for 94-96 premium radio & CD by Steve83

IF THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL, click it.
Note that P=purple; PK=pink.
===============
Tips by Kevin L; "If there's an aftermarket stereo installed, there's usually a special way to remove them. If you need to, remove the glovebox to get access to behind the stereo. This is pretty easy too.

Step #2

The next step is the wiring. If you can get an adapter harness, more power to you. If not, get a book w/ wiring schematics to find the wiring for everything. The color coding system makes abosolutly no sense, so don't even try to guess. If you get lucky and have a previous aftermarket stereo installed, you might have the color coding on the old stereo (I did).

If you don't know how to connect automotive wiring together, ask someone who does. (did I mention I do some freelancing stereo installs?) Here's some basic do's and don'ts.

Do:
Use crimp connectors, or solder wires together and cover them w/ heat shring tubing.
Use supplemental covering on the whole mess such as elctrical tape.

Don't
Just twist the wires together and use elcectrical tape.
Just use wire nuts w/out some sort of insulating liquid covering the exposed wires.
Mix speaker grounds w/ electrical grounds

Follow these rules, and you won't have shorted wires or bad connections.

Step #3

The best way to mount the stereo is to use the sleeve that comes with the stereo. Just push it back into the opening until it stops with the lips that are on it, and bend the appropriate tabs so it'll stay in.

Step #4

Connect your electrical connector to the stereo, connect the antenna lead, insert the stereo, attach any bezels and faceplates, and tah-dah your done."
http://web.archive.org/web/20070702092829/http://kevin-long.tripod.com/stereo.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found the plugs on my parts wiring harness,(matches plugs from steve's picture) and I have found the wires for the radio in the truck, with the plugs cut off. I plan to just use a tester and figure out which wires are which and wire my new radio in as the colours on the plugs I have and the wires in the truck are different. I am assuming this is because my truck must have had premium sound originally. This should work correct? My book doesn't have the interior wiring diagrams to figure out which colour is which wire.

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
the stock speaker wiring is crappy.
There's nothing at all wrong with the stock speaker wires. They're sufficient for any radio or amp up to ~50W/ch.
...the colours on the plugs I have and the wires in the truck are different.
But you're not gonna post your wire colors? :shrug
I am assuming this is because my truck must have had premium sound originally.
Not available until '94, as Al's post mentioned.
My book doesn't have the interior wiring diagrams to figure out which colour is which wire.
My pics do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys, I found another wiring harness cut off behind the dash and was able to match up all the colours except for the ground, which I couldn't find so I will have to run a new one. The interior wiring in this truck is a mess and there are 4 or 5 extra wires running out of the front of the fuse box (just stuck in with the fuses) that I'm following and fixing. 2 of them went to the radio. Weird thing is I have all but 1 replaced and haven't found a signal reason why they were run, I have been able to find the original wires and re solder them each time and everything is work g so far. Thanks again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just went through my PO's hack job of "wiring". Why is it that people treated these trucks like red headed step children?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know why, but that wasn't the only thing screwed up with my truck, the PO actually hired someone to do all the hack jobs that I found and had all the paperwork showing the work, turns out most of it was crap, like the radio wiring, and the new welded floor pans which was barn steel self tapped down and covered in roofing tar. Got her for cheap though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wish I had the pic of when I replaced my stereo. Every wire connecting the aftermarket head unit/harness was duct taped together. I cant believe it even worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts