Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I pulled my factory amp out of the car because it was shot and drawing power even when the car was off. It killed my battery several times.

Anyways, I bought a bypass kit and honest to god I have no idea what to do with this thing. One end of the clips lines up with a connector right and the other....lines up to nothing at all.

My wiring has been butchered at some point in time.

Here are some pics of what I've got. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the heck to do here to make my radio work? Several hour drives with no radio sure suck.

Here are the connectors that were hooked into the amp:

Here is what the back of my radio looks like (aftermarket Pioneer deck):

Here is a continuation of the wiring from the back of my radio:

And here is the bypass kit that I got from amazon:

What in the heck do I do with all this stuff to make it work guys? I'm totally inexperienced in stereo wiring but am trying hard to learn. :armed

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like you got the wrong kit. You got one with the same connector (male, male or female, female) on both ends of the wire harness. You need one that is male on one end and female on the other.

The po cut the connectors off the wiring loom on mine so I'm going to have some fun when I put a stereo in it. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5514-Wiring-Harness-Bypass/dp/B000271NH0

This is the one I have. From everything I read this is the one I should have but I guess not eh?

What exactly am I trying to plug into what here? Those two (the long rectangular and the square one) are what came out of the amplifier.

As I understand it that square one can just stay unplugged but I need to plug the radio into the long rectangular one that cam eout of the amp? Is that correct?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Return the "bypass kit" for refund.
2) unplug the factory amp wiring from EVERY connector until it can be removed from the truck (withOUT cutting any wires)
3) remove the amp (it just clips in)
4) plug the dash wiring into a standard radio, or a standard radio install kit.

Don't throw the amp or its wiring away because I suspect you're about to learn that it's the ratnest of wiring that's draining your battery - not the amp. For more info, click this & read the captions:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/33556-2

1) Already talked to amazon about a refund. They issued one and didn't even want the bypass kit back.

2) That stuff is such a rat's nest (as you put it, I like that term) that it's all hung up behind the dash somewhere making it impossible to pull out.

3) Already did remove it, although it wasn't just clipped in...it wasn't the stock amp I think it was a filler amp (didn't have a single brand name piece on it anywhere) and it actually had two screws holding it in that were a bear to get to.

4) What I have behind the radio is wires that are all taped and mish mashed together. They lead down to the amp which has the long rectangular connection (I think this is the speaker connection?) and the square connection (which I think is the premium sound connection).

I'm assuming I need that long rectangular plug (bottom one in my first picture) plugged directly into the back of the radio via whatever adapter I may need?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the pics, I have a long rectangular connector that came out of the amp and the square connector that came out of the amp; exactly what is linked in your pictures.

My car dos not have a stock radio, it has a pioneer with a what appears to be two different harnesses, maybe three (it also has alpine parts spliced into it) butchered to bits.

Are there supposed to be three connectors hooked into the amp normally? Because there are only the two (pictured on the left side of your amp picture) and the grey one that was just solo. Nothing was coming off it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think mainly I'm just confused as to what I need to be hooking into here. Is the standard radio plug completely separate in the wiring harness from anything hooked to the adapter, and I just need to find it? If so, what does it look like and where are some likely locations for it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found where it's hooked into the standard connectors in the dash harness. Holy hell that thing is way up in there, I can barely even physically touch it with my finger tips. Without some major disassembly I don't see me being able to unplug it even.

It's like up and above where the amp was located, against the firewall. I literally can't even fit my hands up there far enough to unplug it, although I can feel along the plug with a finger.

Can I yank this farther out without worrying about it hurting something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts