Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m continuing to work through on my bronco project. Just noticed that the plastic spacers behind the radius arm bushings are loose enough to spin and one is cracked. It drives fine, but this seems wrong. It’s s the spacer between the bushing and the bracket in the photo- you can see the crack. The bushings themselves seem good, but i‘m guessing this ain’t right. its parked on a slight slope (front down) which could account for the slack I guess. I’m not sure what the spacer does (In my experience on other cars it would just be bushing-washer-bolt on the back side of the bracket
?
Anyway, any advice as to how to deal with this would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,765 Posts
A view I’m familiar with...

Based on recent discussions with Energy Suspensions, it appears you need more compression on the bushings. Nut looks to be in about the right place, but factory spec is 80 ft/lbs to 120 ft/lbs.

Check the radius arm bracket for damage as well as cracks or loose rivets/bolts where it attaches to the frame. If there is nothing obvious.
1) jack the truck up, put a stand under the frame and unload the front suspension.
2) use a crow bar to check for movement between the bracket and frame.

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Do you reckon I’ll need a new spacer to replace the one that’s cracked? Don’t want to buy a whole bushing kit, but I bet you can’t get them by themselves?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I’ve got these if you want them...

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,765 Posts
Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Do you reckon I’ll need a new spacer to replace the one that’s cracked? Don’t want to buy a whole bushing kit, but I bet you can’t get them by themselves?
Yes, you will need them. From the picture your bushings look OK. Go to the closest auto parts store and buy the cheapest kit you can find and pull out just what you need.

Local Advance Auto has the full kit for $15 and if you buy them online and pick them up in the store you can save another 20%.

These are for a '92-'96 https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/driveworks-radius-arm-bushing-dw-k8361b/10577272-P

Don't buy Moog or Energy Suspension just for the spacer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you will need them. From the picture your bushings look OK. Go to the closest auto parts store and buy the cheapest kit you can find and pull out just what you need.

Local Advance Auto has the full kit for $15 and if you buy them online and pick them up in the store you can save another 20%.

These are for a '92-'96 https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/driveworks-radius-arm-bushing-dw-k8361b/10577272-P

Don't buy Moog or Energy Suspension just for the spacer.
That’s good advice, I’ll see what I can get over here in Australia, If not I’ll have to add it to my next big order from the States.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,382 Posts
I've been having the same problem for years on my passenger side radius arm bushing spacer ring splitting all the time after I replaced all my Radius Arm bushings. I ordered a couple of new plastic/nylon spacer bushings online and just used the last one and I think it has split again like the previous ones. My driver's side is still hangin in there though... I reckon I have to take a closer look at what is going on with the Bracket, Radius arm and bushings on that side, I thought it was from the heat from the Cat but I have a heat shield in-between the Cat and the Bushings and the factory cupped washer/heat shield and it still keeps splitting. Below is from a Post I was part of a while back, but it gives you the part number for the Nylon Ring you need.
Mines missing too, but a New Heat Shield (Moog K8729) is on it's way with a couple of new Nylon Bushing Rings (E5TZ-3B244-A) also. They're all cheap parts so might as well stock up on a few extra on the Nylon Rings. They are easy to replace.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you still have trouble locating the piece, I found out my local dealership had some in stock. Not sure about Australia though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts