Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I replaced my stock radius arm bushings in my 96 Bronco a couple of years ago with Energy Suspension poly pieces. They didn't come with the plastic collar rings that are in the stock set. I did go to a Ford garage and got 2 of these for almost $9 apiece. Not cheap for what they are. One of them broke after a year and the other is mushroomed out pretty bad.

Is there another more heavy duty part a person can use in place of the plastic collars? If i go with the stock ones again i'm afraid they wont last. We do have the usual xtra large potholes and rough railroad tracks around here that most everyone else does.

Also i saw where the nut gets torqued to 100ft/lbs. If i remember right, it bottomed out before it got that tight. Is that normal?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I read somewhere else that the poly bushing will distroy the plastic ring. I got a set of poly's to go on mine. (havent had time) Can someone confirm this? I dont know why it would have to be torqued to 100ft/lbs. I guess you dont want it to spin off. Did you have to unbolt anything else to get the stud out of the bracket?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ground down the rivet heads holding the bracket on, took it off, then easily replaced the bushings and bolted the brackets back up with new grade 8 hardware. It was really easier than i figured it would be.

I don't know why anyone would want to use a come along to winch the front axle forward. That sounds like too much work to me.

Check to make sure your radius arm bracket hole isn't rounded out or you will need new ones. I needed to replace one bracket and hadn't had any metal to metal noise while hitting bumps or potholes. Just wore out.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Is there another more heavy duty part a person can use in place of the plastic collars?
Not that I know of

If i go with the stock ones again i'm afraid they wont last.
Here is what I do on applications that use factory mounts that require the plastic collar. For the front bushing I use polyurethane, for the rear I use rubber to cushion the plastic collar. The Polly on the front resists loads from breaking better than rubber, and the rubber on the back wont crack the bushing.

Or, just run rubber on both sides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts