Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 89 Bronc with a 4" long arm lift. My radius arm bushings are going bad. I was just thinking if it is possible to change them without droping the axle. Since my brakets are bolted to the frame. Would it be easier to unbolt the brackets and change them that way or should I do it the hard way? Any suggestions?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
yes do it that way. just unbolt the brackets and change the bushings and bolt them back in. you may need to move it forward a bit but it is the easiest way

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what I was thinking too. I was dreading doing it. Because I already know how much of a PITA it is to drop the front axle.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does everyone think it is easier to just replace the rivits on a stock truck to aid in this process?

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Its not easier, but I think it is better because you'll have to replace them again if you keep it long enough. With pneumatic tools, it takes no time at all to remove the radius arm bracket from the TTB if you're good.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that is what I was thinking. Mine are bolt on's fromm when I lifted.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
that is what I was thinking too. I was dreading doing it. Because I already know how much of a PITA it is to drop the front axle.
iuf the brackets are bolted on you do not have to unbolt the axle at all. loosen the radius arm nuts, take thebolts out of the bracket. take the radius arm nut off of the back and remove the bushing and hanger. replace bushing into hanger and moutn the hangar bracket back onto truck. no removing the axle. it seriously took me longer to break the torque on the radius arm nut then to replace the bushing

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
iuf the brackets are bolted on you do not have to unbolt the axle at all. loosen the radius arm nuts, take thebolts out of the bracket. take the radius arm nut off of the back and remove the bushing and hanger. replace bushing into hanger and moutn the hangar bracket back onto truck. no removing the axle. it seriously took me longer to break the torque on the radius arm nut then to replace the bushing
My old ones keep losening up and start poping. So I tighten them up but I think it is time to replace.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I just took the radius arm bolt off and pulled the axle beams forward. Did'nt have to take the bracket off at all.
when you do it like that you are supposed to get an alignment afterwards

My old ones keep losening up and start poping. So I tighten them up but I think it is time to replace.
yeah if the radiusa rm bushings are doing that you need too. how old are they. going to getpoly this time

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no I got a good deal on some stock style. They were like $20 for both sides and nuts and washers and everything. Pretty good deal and I was on a tight budget.

·
Registered
311 Posts
no I got a good deal on some stock style. They were like $20 for both sides and nuts and washers and everything. Pretty good deal and I was on a tight budget.

We have a Summit store locally, I think I paid $13 for the radius arm bushings, and $19 for the pivot bushings. Cheap Cheap!!!:chili:

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
does everyone think it is easier to just replace the rivits on a stock truck to aid in this process?
It's the only way to do it. It's a pain the first time, but dropping the axle is a multi-hour job if you have any rust to deal with. Just not worth it. Besides, the brackets wear out too, if you let the bushings go too long.

·
Registered
22 Posts
RADIUS ARM BUSHINGS POLY'S

need help on which bushings to use. i got the daystar super kit for my 93 bronco. my bracket already had bolts installed by previuos owner so taking it apart was no biggie. the problem i am now faced with is the bushings daystar says to use "KF07009 for 2/1992-1996" leave no room for the rad arm bolt to thread on. before i recieved a reply from the company with the proper install info i had matched up my old rubber bushings to the poly ones in the bag marked "KF07010, these i later found out were for 1980-2/1992".

the main difference between the two is that the ones supposedly for my year grouping is about an half inch taller than the ones for the earlier years. any suggestions?

my truck has been in the go-rahge for almost two weeks and i am sick of riding public transportation

·
Registered
242 Posts
my truck has been in the go-rahge for almost two weeks and i am sick of riding public transportation
:histerica :histerica :histerica

i wish you had been around a month ago while i was still in so cal i would have changed mine out with you. i dunno about your poly ones, i used motorcraft rubber ones with new brackets and it was fine. why are you going poly? with no lift and 33's i assume you're not doing much wheeling right?

also you can use a ratcheting strap to compress the bushing to get the nut on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i decided to go poly after searching pros and cons for days, this is my only transportation (dd) so i wanted to change out all bushings in prep for lift in future. also i pull a toyhauler/boat so i wanted to tighten things up for the long trips.

you mentioned using racheting straps, will this method compress the bushing ok? there does not seem to be much give with these things.

i thought about just using the poly bushings for 1980-2/1992 because they match up with the old rubber bushings in thickness when put side by side, but i'll try the straps first. also working on body mount bushings. got stuck on radiator core ones waiting for hardware from JBG

already replaced both sway bar bushings-saving axel pivot bushings for last

1 - 18 of 18 Posts