Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my Bronco I had it inspected and one of the items was that both radius arm bushings were completely gone. I can see both bushings in place where they tie into the hanger (toward the rear of the truck). Are there bushings on the other (front) end of the radius arm? The Haynes manual isn't very specific on this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No,only in the rear by the bracket that ties it to the frame

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redd said:
No,only in the rear by the bracket that ties it to the frame
Thanks Redd, I don't know what the dealer was talking about then.

·
Registered
489 Posts
new convert said:
Thanks Redd, I don't know what the dealer was talking about then.
they were probably thinking of the earlier 70's trucks ... they had a set of bushings at the front of the radius arm as well. That or they were referring to the pivot bushings.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
When you buy new radius arm bushings, stay away from Polyeurathane, they are too hard and wear out fairly quickly. Although, Polyeurathane works well for the pivot bushings.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
The Yak said:
When you buy new radius arm bushings, stay away from Polyeurathane, they are too hard and wear out fairly quickly. Although, Polyeurathane works well for the pivot bushings.
True if you're off-road a lot, but they wear fine for plain street duty, I find anyway. Just switched to polys on the front sway bar last weekend and what a difference in cornering, completely flat through corners no more yawing and pitching and leaning. Haven't had the guts to put the pivot bushings in yet, looks like a lot of work, not like the radius arms or rear sway bar which were pretty easy last summer.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Yak said:
Explain how the Poly will wear out faster than rubber?

If you just drive it on the street get rubber bushings
If you take it off-road then use Poly. Yes it will be a slightly harsher ride but will last longer than rubber.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The first set of radius arm bushings I had were rubber, after two years they were still in good shape. I installed Poly bushings throughout the front end when I installed the lift, after 18 months they were wore to the point that there was at least 1/2 inch play between the radius arm and bracket. Not to mention there were allowing the front tires to move front to back a fair amount.

Franklin--

They don't have enough give.

These are just my experiences, I drive on a lot of rough roads 5-6 days a week, 9 months out of the year. I like poly bushings everywhere else that I've installed them, on the raduis arms, IMO, they suck.

No Flame Intended.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
actually for radius arm bushing you dont want poly. they will limit the flex because they are so hard. i just replaced mine with plain ole rubber ones.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
84brownbronco said:
actually for radius arm bushing you dont want poly. they will limit the flex because they are so hard. i just replaced mine with plain ole rubber ones.
i have polys and they are fine. oh, so you lose maybe an inch of flex. big deal. poly were WAY cheaper too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cheaper? I picked up a set of rubber ones for $14.99/both sides at CQ whereas the poly ones were $11.99/side @ Kragen.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
Ford = $$$$$ Anywhere else = $$$

Commom Sense. Very Rare Exceptions

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
The Yak said:
I asked the folks at autofab about the pivot bushings, they recommend the rubber pivot bushings for the TTB housings. The urethane doesn't allow the housings to rotate as easily, making the suspension less active.

Mitch

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I paid $7.99 each for poly's at Auto Zone... and you all know my trials and tribulations with that... LOL... normal maintenance thing gone nightmare...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts