Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I heard some strange noises at the front passenger side wheel yesterday. Took the tire off and saw my front shock was no longer connected to the Radius Arm at the bottom. Looks like the arm itself failed.
:banghead

I called ford and they said it was $106 for each side. This job looks pretty labor intensive, I was hoping that one of you might have done this before and could tell me how much it might be to have the Radius Arm installed. Also, should I replace both of them? These are stock arms with 160k miles on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can get there, go to a junk yard and pick one up. At least it will buy you some time. It's not as bad as it looks, sounds. The stealer will cost you a fortune.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,471 Posts
A picture wouold help. The shock attaches to a bracket that is attached to the top of the radius arm. Unless you are talking about a quad shock and the one in front of the axle is the bad one, did the bolt break off? A lot of guys run with only the shock behind the axle kind of like the "normal" shock set up.

I beat the crap out of my radius arms and have yet to break one..

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yes. Get a pic of you can. I've never heard of someone breaking a stock arm. I've broke a couple aftermarket ones but I wheel it pretty hard.
As far as replacing it... if your handy and have a decent set of tools you can do it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
One question, you say
saw my front shock was no longer connected to the Radius Arm at the bottom
, I assume you meant at the bottom of the shock where it mounts to the double shear mounting on the top of the radius arm? Did the shock mounting ears on the top of the rad. arm break or did the bolt that attaches the shock ears to the arm shear? If it's the latter, then the fix should be very easy; no radius arm removal required. You would just need to pull the shock mount off a junkyard trucks radius arm and swap it onto yours.

If you really do need a whole new arm, the removal/install ain't that bad, me and a friend just put some extended ones on his 90. Get coil loose, remove coil stud on top of TTB and bolt on bottom of TTB and nut at the back end of the radius arm and slide/bang the rad arm out. Use lots of penetrating lube before you start. ("Installation is reverse of removal" - Haynes)

I have a set of OE rad arms loose and in good shape that I'd be willing to sell if you're interested. FYI, the dealer price is pretty much the same as the broncograveyard.com price for a new set.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes. Get a pic of you can. I've never heard of someone breaking a stock arm. I've broke a couple aftermarket ones but I wheel it pretty hard.
As far as replacing it... if your handy and have a decent set of tools you can do it.
I've broken both stock radius arms:toothless. Needless to say I am a pro at replacing these and it's really not hard at all. A 1 1/8" socket/wrench will be your best friend on this job. Definitely looking into a set of extendeds as soon as I can afford them. I think it was because for the rigid drop brackets and the polyurethane bushings I was using. That and no sway bar...

Bottom line if you plan on replacing, make sure you buy brand new bushings. OE rubber ones will be just fine as they'll make the ride better and allow the arm to flex more. They're only $10 so if you're going to do the job, definitely a good time to replace those.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealer. He gave me a couple diagrams that look like it is in fact a clip on the front of the radius. I have not got back to the truck yet to verify but once I get home I'll know for sure, The number on the diagram for the clip is 18112, according to ford the part number is E8TZ18112A. The dealer gave me a list of other dealers in the US that apparently stock the part, I'll call them and see how much it might be but I'm thinking the junkyard may be the best plan. I'll post some pics up later today.

Thanks guys!

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
just a lil side note that should help, be 100% sure to block the front tires from rolling, it wont crush you if you dont but it WILL be a pain to get the arm back into the frame mounting bracket. i replaced my bushings and on the passenger side i didnt block it and the tire rolled back a good 4-8 inches once the radius arm was disconected and i had to push the axle with my foot and line up the bracket into the frame holes and it was a pain in the @zz

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn! Thanks MUDSLAYER!
I ordered the part from ford in Corning CA (E8TZ18112A) $23.00 not too bad.
I have a Haynes guide for the truck and I will review over the weekend, this is going to be a big one for me, but I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Pics to follow

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is a couple pics of the break, putting it on tomorrow. Gumbie, I'm in venice, I'm trying to start a bronco night at in n out on lincoln and washington. you would you be down for something like that?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Or you can drill it out and put a bolt through there to hold the shock..

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
i had that part break off on mine (the stud broke off the bracket) i just welded the stud back on.. took 30 seconds.. any exhaust shop can do it for you if you don't have access to a welder. quick, cheap, easy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
We have many of those parts stacked up at "The Shop".
Having completed several 1 ton axle swaps, we have many extra parts, and many of these are free for local pick up.

If you need some help welding or need the factory components, you are more than welcome to stop by "The Shop" for assistance.

A few of the fellas will be over tomorrow to work on stuff, so there will be plenty of help to get you going again.

PM me for directions if you need some help or just want to hang out and meet some of the gang.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do want to come by 'the shop' are you in my area?

So here is the part from ford, dropped the truck off at a shop with a bunch of broncos in the lot. I'm hoping hes good, he quoted me 160-240$. Apparently it will not be done today, I'm planning on the FSB tomorrow! Cant wait.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the idea of having the quad shock system. Do guys really just run one of them? The rear shock?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I like the idea of having the quad shock system. Do guys really just run one of them? The rear shock?
the quad shocks were an option. i prefer to run all 4 (2 per side) as it's more shock, and it's already set up for it. then again i like to jump my bronco and stuff so it needs to absorb all that impact (which is the shocks job, not the spring) and two shocks will do it twice as good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts