Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....So I pulled into the drive today after getting home from work and looked at the site of my new bronco sitting in the driveway. I noticed that the radius arms really were not at much of an angle when coming up from the axle to the bracket. I looked closer and now am wondering if the guy that put the lift on added the lowering brackets to the arms. Can anyone tell me what the stock arm bracket looks like? This one had bolts that go through the frame as well as some that attach it to the skid plate/crossmember. The guy I got it from said he put 4" coils on up front and an add-a-leaf in the back. He said it was from Rough Country. The shocks though don't have any type of identification on them. I would have thought there would have been more of an angle on the arms with that much lift...but then again maybe not. My old 75 early bronco just had the frame mount for the bracket and it was not that "beefy" being stock. The unit on this '79 looks pretty darn stout. But then again maybe Ford starting making them stronger on these models. Any ideas???

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The original brackets are riveted to the frame. If yours have bolts they were removed and either replaced or moved back for longer radius arms. If I remember the original brackets don't bolt up to the crossmember. Which means yours were moved back. (usually about 15", I think) As far as being lowered I'd have to measure to be sure. Moving the originals back would lower them alittle because of the contour of the frame. Look on the frame for the old rivet holes or a mark where the bracket was located if it was moved.

I've got a 78 and 86 and may be confusing the two. I am at work now so I can't go out and look, but I think I got it right.
KENNY

·
Registered
26 Posts
On my drop brackets, the front of the bracket above where the arm goes through, I had to clean it off, but has skyjacker cast into the bracket.

·
gone fish'n
23,563 Posts
all the 78/79's i have seen have been bolted in.

·
My Ass Is A...
986 Posts
jopes said:
all the 78/79's i have seen have been bolted in.
Mine are as well...with that small of a lift, you won't see a significant angle...4 inch and up...start looking for more angle and limitation on axle movement.

A picture would offer a definite solution as most of the members have seen BKO's in all shapes, stages of lift...etc:rockon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics will be up soon...

I'll get a pic of it uploaded tomorrow. I have been so busy and had a funeral viewing tonight. I didn't crawl underneath but it looked like it tied into the skid plate maybe??? Strange....oh well....it's supposed to warm up tomorrow so I will check it then...Damn thing won't fit in the garage!

David

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics Of Rear Brackets Up

Ok...I finally got some pics up in my garage of the Bronco and the radius arms. It's warmed up here so I was finally able to mess around today since I am off work. The bracket is definately bolted to the frame and to the crossmember for the tranny/transfer case. The arms are not totally flat but only have a slight angle up from the front axle. I don't think these are stock but maybe they are. Let me know what you think! BTW...I can't figure out how to properly insert the picture into the text area. It allowed me to put it in but then it just showed a small box with the red X in it. So I'm just putting up the link.

David

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=307

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=306

1 - 11 of 11 Posts