Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Sorry Im new at this thread thing so dont be too hard on me. If Im in the wrong place just tell me.

I was wondering if cage or any company sold the rear part of the C bracket that the cage arms bolted to. I am interested in this because I was going to make my own radius arms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'll try and email cage.

Plug Ugly, I am making my own arms but my axle has the cast C so i have to use radius arms.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
A related question. Just want to confirm that the stock '79 RA's are cast steel and can be welded without the normal pre/post heat , nickel rod, etc required for welding cast iron. The RA's on my D44 were cut off about a foot behind the axle, I would like to fab my own by using rectangular tube welded to the part of the RA that's left.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I didnt know that. I emailed cage and am waiting for an email back. Ill let yall know what he says.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyones help and ideas. Jim from cage said that they will sell them seperatly and they are $230 for the pair or $115 for just one.
So now I need to weigh my choices and decide whether I want to use the old arm or the cage mount. Im leaning towards the cage mount just because I dont really like the idea of welding to the old arm even though it tis just cast steel.

Yall feel free to throw in your 2 cents. I can use all the change i get

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i just thought about building my own arms, in the cage/james duff design, and this is what i came up with.

230$ for the cast pieces from cage
104$ for 8 feet of 2 inch .250 wall dom
60$ for 2 7/8 chromo rod ends
26$ for the tube adapters
32$ for the high mis alignment spacers
4$ for jam nuts
45$ for 1/4 inch plate
=501 dollars+my time and welding wire and grinding wheels

i figured since i am an ironworker by trade this would be an easy and fun project, but once the material sheet was added up, it became obvious that the cost difference wasn't all that much.

i just though i'd post my thoughts and "price sheet" for those thinking of doing the same-you may change your mind.
of course this could be done cheaper with different materials but to duplicate the james duff/cage design it isn't very cost effective.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
i just thought about building my own arms, in the cage/james duff design, and this is what i came up with.

230$ for the cast pieces from cage
104$ for 8 feet of 2 inch .250 wall dom
60$ for 2 7/8 chromo rod ends
26$ for the tube adapters
32$ for the high mis alignment spacers
4$ for jam nuts
45$ for 1/4 inch plate
=501 dollars+my time and welding wire and grinding wheels

i figured since i am an ironworker by trade this would be an easy and fun project, but once the material sheet was added up, it became obvious that the cost difference wasn't all that much.

i just though i'd post my thoughts and "price sheet" for those thinking of doing the same-you may change your mind.
of course this could be done cheaper with different materials but to duplicate the james duff/cage design it isn't very cost effective.
And just so ya know, you still would not have built a Cage arm:

there are misc. bolts, spacers, and poly bushings.
cage arms are not .25 tube, more like .33
the heims are not 7/8" at $30 ea. but rather 1" at $54ea.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
why bother with using the cage arms... go around the wedges with radius arm brackets from btf and 2.5" bushings... build radius arms off those... and the bushing should be studded... that way its adjustable... you can change caster w/ a wrench not new C's

that is... if you can get around the C's...

dc

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
why bother with using the cage arms... go around the wedges with radius arm brackets from btf and 2.5" bushings... build radius arms off those... and the bushing should be studded... that way its adjustable... you can change caster w/ a wrench not new C's

that is... if you can get around the C's...

dc
i'm not sure i understand. go around the wedges? the axle is from a 78 so it has cast wedges with a large cast tube section.
post a link to btf radius arm brackets. i'm not sure which one you are talking about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad 96,
Thats about what I came up with when I added up my materials too. I but the main reason I would like to build my own arms is just bc I enjoy doing the fab work. I also will be able to position the RA mounts where I want them which will also have a new tranny cross member built in as a brace. another bonus is that i can set the caster to whatever i need. I guess when it comes down to it its just to say I did it. When I get started on the RA brackets Ill post pics If anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Bad 96,
Thats about what I came up with when I added up my materials too. I but the main reason I would like to build my own arms is just bc I enjoy doing the fab work. I also will be able to position the RA mounts where I want them which will also have a new tranny cross member built in as a brace. another bonus is that i can set the caster to whatever i need. I guess when it comes down to it its just to say I did it. When I get started on the RA brackets Ill post pics If anyone is interested.
i still may do my own also, haven't decided yet. i even thought about using the front portion of a stock ra to avoid needing to by the cast pieces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really wasnt too crazy about using the stock arms as a starting point. If you do make your own arms why not just just Jonny joints. that way you dont need mis. alignment spacers. thats what i had planned

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
did you just box the arm and use 2x2 box to lengthen then.

P.S. Looks good, you may sway my decison

1 - 20 of 26 Posts