Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to owning a 4wd, what are the purpose of radius arms to strengthen the suspension? And if I change the bushings or mounts, will it throw my alignment off? My drivers side is clunking when I hit a left hand turn/bump at the same time. I dont remember seeing these on any of the sports cars Ive owned in the past.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Radius arms position the front axle. If they weren't there, there'd be nothing to stop the front axle from moving forwards and backwards under the truck, changing your wheelbase (and breaking stuff).

Yes, changing the bushings can affect your alignment. The bushings are important to steering stability as well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
They don't merely strengthen, your radius arms are what locate your wheel longitudinally (front to back). Your Bronco's Twin Traction Beam front suspension system is just different from most modern car's.

If you replace your radius arm bushings it may affect your alignment to a small degree, but I don't know if it'd require an alignment.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey guys I need to replace my bushings also, How do I find out what size I need?? I have a 4" lift but I dont know if the arms are stock or not... Or are they pretty much universal??

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
Hey guys I need to replace my bushings also, How do I find out what size I need?? I have a 4" lift but I dont know if the arms are stock or not... Or are they pretty much universal??
your RA bushings? get the ones for your truck. lift shouldn't make a diff unless you got new RAs to replace your stock ones.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
even the extended radius arms use the stock bushing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
is that a home mechanic job, can you simply undo the bolt & say pull one side of the axle forward to get it out of the hole & then replace the bushings & then put it back, or do you need a hoist..
who has done this at home??

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
it can be done at home. you need a jack and jackstand. passenger side is very quick and easy because it uses bolts.
drivers side is riveted. i drilled out the heads of the rivets then used a cold chisel to shave them off. i guess a air hammer with sharp chisel makes quick work of em, but didn't have one at the time.
replace rivets with grade8 hardware. i think the whole thing took me 2 hours with beer and lazy assed pace.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Both sides of mine were bolted in. Take it to an exhaust shop and see if they will use a plasma cutter to get the rivets out, provide them with bolts to replace them. it works

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
Both sides of mine were bolted in. Take it to an exhaust shop and see if they will use a plasma cutter to get the rivets out, provide them with bolts to replace them. it works

i tried that with mine but they were to chicken to blast them out because there is a fuel line running inside the framerail there, big chickenbabies.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Downunder, put your vehicle info into your profile- it makes a differenct on stuff like this.

Prior to 1986 (and maybe even a little later) both sides are riveted. If this is the case you either have to cut ALL of the rivets and replace them with bolts OR drop the entire axle assembly.

It takes longer to cut the rivets (the 1st time, takes about 20 minutes after that), but dropping the whole axle assembly and putting it back in takes 2 jacks and preferably 2 people.

Justin

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
when my rad arm bushings were shot, they actully ruined my rad arm mounts. i had to get new ones, because the gapped out the holes.

and yes usually when you take the rad arms off you need an alignment
I guess i caught mine in time cause after i changed mine my alignment was better then it was. i should be getting an alignment at the end of this month after the lift goes on (keep fingers crossed)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ORIGINAL POSTER HERE My radius arm bushings have been shot, and that explains now why my truck sometimes the wheel is sometimes slightly cocked left and sometimes cocked right and the truck goes straight, because the forward and rearward movement of the suspension assy's due to these bushings being loose and worn out. I knew that was the case, but had to ask cause ya never know. I have checked everything else suspensionwise and its tight and steering box/rod arms are good too, just wasnt sure of those R arms and what role they played in the alignment factor. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
If they're that bad, you'll probably need new radius arm mounts as well as bushings. The holes get egged out pretty quickly once the bushings go bad enough to get metal on metal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts