Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is the difference between radius arm drops and extended radius arms? for wheeling... for street... what? thanks!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The radius arm drops just drop your stock rad arms to coencide with your longer springs. That method does not give your travel any benefit. Extended radius arms are completly new and longer rad arms. You torch off the stock rad arm bracket off the frame and relocate it further to the rear. This method gives your front end more travel and better contact with the road. This method is better all around, street and off road.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wait, so in travel, you mean stretch or what? im still confused!! sorry

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
KENNY said:
wait, so in travel, you mean stretch or what? im still confused!! sorry
By travel I mean vertical motion of your tire/suspension. Think of it this way. With your arm extended infront of you your hand moves a good few feet up and down when you move your arm verticaly. Now imagine your arm was only 6" long. Your hand would not be able to move as much verticaly. Same idea with a longer radius arm. The tire being your hand. Get it?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Actually, drop brackets do afford you a bit more travel in a sense. Basically, you just move all of the geometry. And, it should be pointed out, that when installing a lift with extended radius arms, you still include the drop mounts. So if you are asking if it's an either or, you can't substitute the radius arms for the brackets. You can add them to a stock system, but when lifting you need the brackets too.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now yall got me all confused? its hard to determine something when i have 2 positive answers!!!!

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Sorry, I was just adding to what they said. Basically, if you are asking about when you lift a truck, "whether extended radius arms are better than drop brackets" then I'm saying.... Extended radius arms are the shit, but you have to have the drop brackets for the lift. I'll draw you a picture! Be back in a minute!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok ok, do you guys know if the skyjacker 4" kit has these?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
OK, I know this is rude, but i rushed it. Anyway, this is a stock and lifted setup. I labeled the pivot point 'A.' If you were to add an extended radius arm, it will move the pivot point to the rear of the truck. This however, does not lift the truck, as I've sorta shown with the radius arm drop. Sorry if I confused you. Maybe I should have left this thread alone.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright, i get it! thanks a lot man - i really appreciate it... take it easy....... - kenny

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i am going to try and clear this up for you kenny.

if you use drop down brackets on the radius arms, you will not gain any travel at all. all you are doing is moving the moving parts of the suspension down in relation to the frame. the radius arms are the same length, therefore no extra travel is gained.

if you use extended radius arms, you will gain a lot of extra travel. most of the TTB extended arms are 15-18" longer. this allows the suspension to move through a much greater arc. almost all of them are also designed to reuse the stock radius arm brackets; you just have to relocate them 18" back to allow for the increased length.

take boulderbroncos example: hold your arm out straight in front of you. pivot your arm at the elbow and notice how far you hand travels as you move it up and down. now pivot your arm at the shoulder joint. did you notice a difference? the longer the arm, the greater the potential distance of travel.

now in all actuality, shocks are usually the limiting factor (unless limiting straps are used). but you get the idea don't you?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andy your a life saver! FULL SIZE OF NEXT MONTH! haha, thanks bro.......

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
:beer no prob. all ya gotta do is ask questions and there are plenty of people who will answer. hell, my bronco has come a long way in just a year, so i remember when i was in the same boat as you.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, in the month that ive been here, i think ive learned more about cars in general than ive ever known in my life! thanks for your help though man- take it easy......... - kenny

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I agree with you Andy, but isn't he asking about lifting as well? If that's the case, extended radius arms alone won't lift the truck. He will still need the drop brackets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts